What makes great BBQ?

D

ddog27

I thought this would be a good topic for discussion. What is it that you think makes BBQ taste great?

For me I think it is the layers of flavor in BBQ. You have the meat, the rub, the wood smoke, and of course the glaze or sauce or whatever else you want to add. I think when all of these flavors come together it makes for a wonderful taste experience.

I also love the fact that everyone cooks BBQ there own way and to there own tastes. That way there are so many chances to taste different BBQ! And that is a good thing!

Sharing it with people I love/like, a cold drink and some good tunes.

Other than that, I agree that it is the combination of flavors, the texture, the smells, the smoke.....the whole package. Personally, though, I usually enjoy cooking it even more than eating it.....The time spent cooking is like meditation or something.....

Meat! Tried to BBQ some Tofu once, didn't work out so well.

It's the smoke, in my never-to-be-humble opinion. Barbecued brisket, for instance, is head and shoulders above braised, even though the two methods may produce a product of similar texture and tenderness. The smoke's the thing.
And I think that what makes the smoke so enjoyable is that it reminds us that the meat in question was cooked in a primordial way- with fire. It's the purest, simplest form of cooking, and the first ever used by our primitive ancestors. When we que, it takes us back to the basics, in some sense- to a time when man first harnessed the power of fire and used it to provide for the tribe, or clan, or family, or whatever you want to call it. We are the descendants, the purest expression, of that ancient man who first roasted a piece of meat from an animal he killed, and shared it with those close to him. That was a watershed moment in the development of the human race, and it is our call, our duty, to remember and honor those times and those people.
And that's why it is so dear to us to cook barbecue and share it with our own tribes, and clans, and families even today. It puts us in touch with our past, and helps us maintain the ties we need to function as a society.
That's what makes barbecue special.

I agree with the above! I also think Q is an art form or expression. My brothers we are artist of different skill levels. Our tasters decide how good of an artist you and I are!

I couln't have said it any better than VitaminQ. And they didn't even have BEER and BOURBON back in those days.Poor slobs.

Amen brother. Nothing more need be said. Same reason we watch TV it fufills the ancient compulsion of stairing vacantly into a fire. And shoping is another way we fufill our primitive urge to hunt and gather. It all goes back to our beginnings and the three "Fs". Food, fire, frends (farkers). Ugh!

VitaminQ said:
It's the smoke, in my never-to-be-humble opinion. Barbecued brisket, for instance, is head and shoulders above braised, even though the two methods may produce a product of similar texture and tenderness. The smoke's the thing.
And I think that what makes the smoke so enjoyable is that it reminds us that the meat in question was cooked in a primordial way- with fire. It's the purest, simplest form of cooking, and the first ever used by our primitive ancestors. When we que, it takes us back to the basics, in some sense- to a time when man first harnessed the power of fire and used it to provide for the tribe, or clan, or family, or whatever you want to call it. We are the descendants, the purest expression, of that ancient man who first roasted a piece of meat from an animal he killed, and shared it with those close to him. That was a watershed moment in the development of the human race, and it is our call, our duty, to remember and honor those times and those people.
And that's why it is so dear to us to cook barbecue and share it with our own tribes, and clans, and families even today. It puts us in touch with our past, and helps us maintain the ties we need to function as a society.
That's what makes barbecue special.

Yup, im up there with VitaminQ AND KC.. SMOKE, and Cherry wood.

Occasionally when making lots of racks of Ribs, I will make a rack just for me, with NO RUB and a thin glaze. Just to show me what I'm cooking in its purest form. Sometimes the concept of just Salt & Pepper is a nice change.

Speaking of which.. Wheres LeeBo and Unka Pete?

Being a taster and not a cooker. I think it's all in the rub. To me sauce hides the flavor of the meat when you use to much. Sauce should be made to compliment. The taste of a good pork butt or pork rib can make me want to dance. The smoky flavor on your tongue seems to resonate to an aroma in your nostrils and its heaven.

The right rub is a lot more important than I ever thought. I have been experimenting with different rubs and found that my own concoction works great on my brisket but not so well on my ribs (maybe I should try it on my feet?) or chicken. Some of my first attempts with using rub on ribs was that I over did it, used the wrong rub or the flavor was too strong. I guess it is the same with all aspects of flavoring your Q. That's why there is such a steep learnig curve. Even if you have your fire technique down, then there are rubs, glazes, brining, sprays, mop sauces and on and on. It's nice when it all comes together. I think I'm getting there. Can't wait to do my next brisket.

In my humble opinion, I agree that smoke is #1, you just can't call it BBQ without it. I also think rub and temperature have a part too, because a ham smoked below 100 degrees is not BBQ to me. It takes everything, meat, all the prep done to the meat, the slow cooking with wood coals and smoke, and THE BEER!

I'm pretty sure my favorite part of BBQ is eating, but I have been known to not eat everything I cook and toss out leftovers so I have room in the freezer to cook some more. Because of that, I tend to wonder if it isn't all the planning, prepping and cooking that I like the best.

LOL! While I agree with everything that's been said here, it struck me as funny when Shohn was mentioning the primitiveness of the whole Q thing and how it takes us back to how our ancestors did it... well, in going out to all these Q contests and seeing these rigs that cost multiple thousands of dollars, somehow the "primitiveness" of it all is lost in the checkbook! :lol: :lol: :lol: But your make a great point in the concept...

Jeff_in_KC said:
seeing these rigs that cost multiple thousands of dollars, somehow the "primitiveness" of it all is lost in the checkbook! quote]

True dat! But the important thing is that we remember- and I think on some level, even if it's not conscious, even those with rigs worth thousands like BBQ for the same reason. It's primordial.

I agree with you guys and what you have written.

I love the whole process from the fire control to the foil.

backyardchef said:
Sharing it with people I love/like, a cold drink and some good tunes.

Other than that, I agree that it is the combination of flavors, the texture, the smells, the smoke.....the whole package. Personally, though, I usually enjoy cooking it even more than eating it.....The time spent cooking is like meditation or something.....

I agree Matt...it's sharing your results along with whole package of the finished product,...but sometimes I don't like sharing and enjoy cooking alone without any distraction....

To me it's a lot of things:

• A crappy piece of meat that's magically made into a wonderful meal
  • Q is eaten in big mouthfuls, with juice and sauce flying everywhere!
  • The crispy outside and the juicy inside work great together
  • The endless ways to prepare it
  • Smiles on the eaters' faces and the perked up ears of the dogs
And more!

For me it's all about the wonderful flavor of slow cooked, smoked meat.

Back