BBQ Guru CyberQ wifi...worth it?

dobdabomb

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ive seen the threads on how to go through the setup but I wanted a little more just on what really is the big positive over the DX2? I just bought a DX2 a couple months ago and its been great on my ceramics but since I am looking a new pit and a much larger one than my 3 ceramics I doubt I would use the wifi that much except maybe when at work but the biggest seems to be the 3 food probe if I do have a larger pit. Also like the pit % on output of the fan. Is it more waterproof?

Just curious as to what the owners say about the positives and negatives of the wifi version.

Thanks guys!

the tunability of the CyberQ Wifi is far greater than a DX2. I do not believe prop band and cycle time is adjustable on the DigiQ and its super easy to make those adjustments. on a digiQ, you better than the manual in hand to figure out how to change settings. I think if your a smartphone user, even just ad hoc makes it a no brainer if your willing to fork over the cash

Ive got an iphone5 and saw the other thread about the bbq remote. I have not looked in depth into the wifi part, read the adhoc and the other connection but not really informed here as much as I should. Ive read people having issues with it and it worried me how easy it is to configure. Not sure what is best if I have wifi at the house so I can check at work. I know if when at competition I will always be there, so not sure where ad hoc comes in as an advantage here I guess?

I don't mind spending the extra $100, not a big deal here.

I am a new user with the CyberQ WIFI and used it 1st time last week, It worked great. I have not used the WIFI yet but will, I wish that I could add more probes to it though as I have several shelves and cook different meats at different locations/shelves in the smoker so a couple more probes would be nice for me.

Other than that it is simple to operate and works well. Worth the money in my opinion.

I have a CyberQ WiFi and it works well. The WiFi capability is cool but not necessary. I find myself looking at the built in display more than using my smart phone. It is easier to use the phone to set up a cook though.

I used mine a lot this past winter, believe me, having the ability to check the temperature on my phone without going outside in -18C weather is a great feature.

I'd like a light version, though, I don't need 3 food probes myself. I usually only use 1. And most times, don't even bother with any food probes.

I've had mine for about 7 months now. Used it several times. The wifi system is alittle bit of a pain to set up, but can be nice. I have found that I use the Ad Hoc mode more even at home where I have wifi. The Ad Hoc doesn't connect inside my house with the smoker being outside very well, but the controller and fans allow me to not have to check the cooker as often, so it is not really a problem.

I think I have used mine more as a remote thermometer than as a temperature control :rolleyes:

I bought it to use with my Backwoods Party but because of some health issues I didn't use the Party at all last year, and now that comp season has started I'm using my FEC-100 as my main comp cooker, so I use the CyberQ to keep an eye on the meat temps while wandering around the comp site.

I've never had any issues with getting mine connected to a wifi network. I've tried it on three different wireless routers and all worked first time.

I've got the BBQ Guru NanoQ. I didn't want something with a bunch of electronics that could break/go haywire. The NanoQ is built like a tank, and my assumption will last longer because it's so simple. I use iGrill via bluetooth to monitor pit & meat temps on my iPhone, or iPad. Even if my iGrill goes haywire, the NanoQ will keep rockin'.

Back