• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

9 pound pork shoulder help!!!

Got if off Craigslist over 2 years ago.
I love it and will probably never get rid of it!!
I got mine 2-3 years ago from my girlfriends grandparents. Her grampa was the original owner that got it as a gift. Came with all the original manuals. It spent a lot of time in the sun but nothing is broken or cracked and cooks very nicely.

Attachments

• bbq11.jpg
    bbq11.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 72
yjure3eb.jpg

me4eha9a.jpg

sa7unumu.jpg

Just get a really big bun and have at it............that looks so good. let us know how it turns out.

Looks nice and old like mine! The pork is looking good.

Thanks,
No cracks in this one either.
I never take it over 300.
I have it outside with a thick weber cover. So far, so good!!!

The old thing, (and I just love old stuff) is so fun to cook with!!!
It blows everyone away when I cook for family & friends on it. They never seen or tasted anything like it!!

That always makes it fun!!!

Thanks,
No cracks in this one either.
I never take it over 300.
I have it outside with a thick weber cover. So far, so good!!!

The old thing, (and I just love old stuff) is so fun to cook with!!!
It blows everyone away when I cook for family & friends on it. They never seen or tasted anything like it!!

That always makes it fun!!!
I cooked a couple skin on chicken breasts and many people said it was the best BBQ chicken they have had. I dont prefer it for smoking (I use my WSM) but for quick grills (chicken, salmon, carne asada, sausage) there is nothing like it.

I seemed to have got it to stall at 198. Cooking temp 215. So I think I will let it sit there just a bit longer as long as the temp don't climb!!! If it hits 200 I think I will pull it and let it rest in foil, towel & thermos for a couple hrs.

You always see here on the brethren that pork butts our the easiest things to cook. I think I just need more experience at cooking butts.

I seemed to have got it to stall at 198. Cooking temp 215. So I think I will let it sit there just a bit longer as long as the temp don't climb!!! If it hits 200 I think I will pull it and let it rest in foil, towel & thermos for a couple hrs.

You always see here on the brethren that pork butts our the easiest things to cook. I think I just need more experience at cooking butts.
Do you think cooking it direct heat over the coals is speeding up the cook? Even though your temps are good.

Do you think cooking it direct heat over the coals is speeding up the cook? Even though your temps are good.

That might have something to do with it.
But the old kamados our pretty deep.

I remember looking at the extra large big green egg and thinking to myself, wow, that sure is shallow. The fire will be so close to the meat. I guess that's why they make them heat deflector plates.

With my WSM I use the water bowl to keep the heat indirect. I would try to keep the grate temps in check but also deflecting heat a bit might be the reason it cooked fast.

Take it to 205 and wrap it, sounds like it is stalling which might be good. Or just wrap in foil and let it go a bit.

Pulled it and wrapped it in tinfoil, then a large towel and dropped it in the cooler.
Gonna let it sit a couple hrs. The temp of the meat was showing 200 with the thermapen. Cooked it a little over 7 hrs. I will let you know how it came out!!!

Thanks again for all your help!!!

If you are cooking on an Akorn or King griller kamado, your dome temp is probably reading 40 to 50 degrees cooler than the actual grate temp...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I am assuming you're done now. But, with a bone-less butt, I reach in and just pull a chunk in half, if it pulls easy, then I wrap and rest.

Back