Contest Announcment Highwood's Tough Man BBQ Rib Competition, Il

crehr

Reaction score
Hello,
I just found this rib competition in Highwood, Il. The town is located on the North side of Chicago. It is right off the lake. It is this Saturday March 3, 2012. It is free to get in and the only thing is you have to bring 4 slabs of ribs. I emailed them and they said they only have 6 teams.
Here is an email address if anybody wants to contact her. cassy@ripplepublicrelations.com
and facebook page http://www.facebook.com/events/347700458595755/
and website http://www.celebratehighwood.com/skylanternfest.html
I going to use this comp to test out a new recipe. Hell it free!
:mad2:

Hello,
I just found this rib competition in Highwood, Il. The town is located on the North side of Chicago. It is right off the lake. It is this Saturday March 3, 2012. It is free to get in and the only thing is you have to bring 4 slabs of ribs. I emailed them and they said they only have 6 teams.
Here is an email address if anybody wants to contact her. cassy@ripplepublicrelations.com
and facebook page http://www.facebook.com/events/347700458595755/
and website http://www.celebratehighwood.com/skylanternfest.html
I going to use this comp to test out a new recipe. Hell it free!
:mad2:
according to the pdf..its March 2nd which is a friday ...hmm a bbq comp at a train station while people are commuting to and from work? not sure about the logic behind this one :razz:

The comp is on Saturday. Turn-in is at 11am. I had her confirm that. Here is a copy of the rules.

Thank you for being a part of the First Annual BBQ Rib Competition - since it is the first of its kind, we are trying to keep it simple. The competition aspect will be just RIBS, although you are totally welcome to cook anything else you want on the side to sample for the event-goers, or just for fun!
Also, instead of a 24-hour cook-off, it will be more like an 11-hour cook-off. So, after Friday, beginning at midnight on Saturday, March 3rd, you may set up and fire up the grills. This gives you 11 hours to cook, as judging will be at 11am sharp on Saturday morning.
Your judges will be: Weber's Grilling Expert Kevin Kolman, Texas Long-Horn Cattle Rancher and Army Major General Jimmie Jaye Wells, and renowned "Adventure Chef" Gabe Viti Jr.

The rules for Highwood's Tough Man/Woman BBQ Rib Challenge are as follows:

1. Competition will take place in the Metra parking lot in downtown Highwood in an area just north of the metra train station and south of the bocce court
2. Cooking can begin as early as midnight on Saturday the 3rd, and heat must be ceased at 11:00am for judging to begin. The winner will be announced at noon.
3. Each contestant gets an area of 2 car spaces to cook in. Garbage cans will be supplied.
4. Water is available at the Metra station, however there will be NO electricity. Bring a generator if needed.

5. Participants must cook a minimum of 4 slabs of ribs,

6. This will be a blind tasting. All entries will be given a number and an anonymous judging plate will be given to each contestant to serve the 4 judges.
7. Contestants must bring their own ribs, sauce or rub, cooking utensils, and grilling device.
8. All meat must be brought to the cooking site RAW and ready for inspection. No meat is allowed to leave the site after it’s been inspected.
9. Scoring will be as follows, for a total of 100 points: The ‘Look’ of the ribs- 20 points, The Sauce or Rub- 30 points, and The Taste and Texture- 50 points.

Thanks for entering again - we are very excited and hope you are too!! Let's make this first annual a great boiler plate for the rest of the years to come!

I have also attached the press release if you may need any more info. Let me know if you have any other questions, have a good one.

congrats to CMohr74 (Dan) for his first place rib win today at this comp..not bad for his first time out...and in 25 degree weather on a UDS no less

Nice. It wasn't warm today either.

Congrats to Dan. It was a great time. The wind was wicked all day. The best part the whole day was to feeding the soldiers from Fort Sheridan.

Thanks guys. The cold wasn't the problem...it was the +25 mph winds that were ripping through there. I would up showing up around 4:45 am to get inspected by 5:00 am. I was cooking spares and with the temperature and all that I wanted to make sure my trusty old UDS would stay at temp. Like crehr from smoking Tasty BBQ said, it was a blast getting to meet some of the soldiers from Fort Sheridan. My family has a great history of military background, so my chance to give anything back to soldiers that puts a smile on their face is awesome. I would like to attach photos, but I need to work on that on how to attach these. I didn't get a final shot of my turn in's, but I was happy with how they turned out. To hear my name called for first place on my first outing was AWESOME!!! Thank you to all those that have helped me in the past year with input and feedback. Looks like it paid off.

Congratulations!

Now that you are a rib cooking professional you are required to compete at Westmont. :wink:

Would love to cook Westmont, but it will have to wait until next year. I have a 5 year anniversary trip with my wife that was planned a while back that weekend. Looking at Libertyville and Kenosha, WI if possible..

Back