Does a pre-rub coating really do anything?

Nope I don't prep until after I light the pit. There is plenty of moisture on the surface of the meat to hold the exact amount of seasoning it needs.

I personally like more seasoning on pork butt than the surface moisture of a butt can hold. With pork butts i do the opposite of you for the most part. I will slather with mustard or olive oil, and then put a thick coat of rub on it. I like a thick bark so that when it mixes in with the inner portion of the butts when pulled give a nice explosion of flavor as well as a nice texture difference.

I have tried your method with the pork butts, and you get a good quality product, but I do prefer laying it on thick with pork butts.

I can't remember the last time I saw such complete agreement on a question of 'Q technique:wink:. I think I will leave the mustard in the closit but maybe I'll try soray oil on chix :idea:

After reading several forum posts, watching lots of Pitmaster I did various tests using mustard, Oil(s), water, etc. and what I decided on was it the addition didn't really make any noticeable difference to me.

Put your rubs on early enough and the moisture in the meat takes care of it. I guess a little water isn't bad but all and all ... I just put the rub on about 30 minutes before meat hits the pit.

Back