• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

OMG My First Brisket.... At Last!

I like every thing I see about this cook. Great looking hunk of beef, simple rub and a WSM left alone to do its overnight magic.

Gotta very good feeling about how this is going to turn out.

G'Day Bruces... :becky:

Well, Had my first look at 8:30hrs. That's about 9 hours in...

IMBD2011-06162013_1133_zps1b349625.jpg

IMBD2011-06162013_1134_zpsf5ce70cd.jpg

The smell is just unbelievable and the colour is great! I can't believe how much it has shrunk!

Anyway, I had my Maverick on my bedside table. Twice though the night I woke up checked the temp. 260F and 265F respectively. When I woke up this morning it was running at 286F. I'd run out of water.. the fire still has hours and hours of life in it yet.

Anyway, it probed like butter through almost all of the meat. Just one tiny spot along the leading edge of the flat is still not ready...

What do I do here.... wait longer or pull it off now??? I did not think it would be ready this soon. Do I foil or leave it uncovered?

Cheers!

Bill

If it's probing tender in the thickest part of the flat, take it off, wrap it in a couple of layers of foil and stash it in a dry cooler with some towels or newspaper for insulation until you're ready to eat. I like a minimum of two hours cooler time for briskets.

The leading end of the flat usually dries out for me and probes tough for me too.

If it probes well everywhere else, I would pull it, wrap in butcher paper or foil and let it rest wrapped in towels in a warm cooler for 2-4 hours before serving.

I assume you pulled it by now? Wrapped and resting for at least 2 hours before cutting

The point is the very best part of the brisket. Wasting it on faux burnt ends is a crime in nearly every part of Texas.

You can hold it up to 5-6 hours if you don't open the cooler to peek, but I would eat when that brisket is ready and rested properly, no matter what the time of night or day.

If you're concerned about the long rest you can stick a remote thermometer in the brisket and monitor the temp. If it gets close to 140 you can stick it in a low oven (180-ish) to finish holding.

Perfect seasoning and perfect color on your first brisket Bill!

I await your report on your first taste.

P.S. Not hammering you at all but my son cooked one last year for a family gig. His Mother in law sliced it with the grain. Flavor was awesome. Like chewing on rubber bands.
Cut it across the grain into like pencil thick or 1/4 inch slices and enjoy brother!!!

To add to Bull's reminder to slice across the grain, the direction of the grain on the flat is not the same as that of the point. Look very carefully before you start to slice. The point can be the opposite direction.

Back