cooking Wagyu vs non Wagyu

smokeisgood

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
If have cooked many briskets, but never a wagyu. Is there much difference in the way they should be smoked? I assume wagyu is more suited to hot and fast, but otherwise is it all pretty much the same techniques, or is there something you do differently?

If it's anything like Kobe it's the opposite. The fat content is usually higher and the melting point of the fat is lower. I bought Kobe from my butcher and he told me to cook it at a lower temp and turn it frequently. Not sure if this helps but I would check it out for sure. The price demands some research IMHO

Many of the comp guys should be able to help you with it. I have yet to try one.

Wagyu: The fat will render when the meat warms up, and long before it get hot enough to cook.
I sear the wagyu I cook, and that's about it.
Steaks I do at 700f, but low and slow wagyu is of no interest for me so I cannot advise.

Fat from Kobe melts at around 77 dregrees so like even tartar feels like theres butter going down now I did this pastrami with a cornbeef flat took it to 175 and was good for slicing but wouldnt be done for brisket.
cornedbeefdone.jpg

I've never cooked one, but people say they cook faster. I same keep the same rules, it's done when it probes tender... and let it rest.

Back