Saffire with controler vs Pellet grill or other

BigDon

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey Guys, have not been on in a long while. I hope everyone has been doing well!

I am trying to make time this year to do some more backyard activities. I have a Saffire that has always done great but I am ready to get some sleep at night while doing a long cook. I either want to try a controler on the Saffire or just sell it and move to a pellet grill.

Thanks for any help!

If you like the food coming off your cooker then get an ATC like the Pitmaster IQ or BBQ Guru. Another option is to cook hot and fast, I never do overnight cooks no need to, Butts and Briskets are usually done in less than 7hrs and ready to rest.

I have a Drum and a Weber Kettle they both keep consistent temps so I really wouldn't find value in an ATC for either. In the future I plan on adding a Pellet Grill not to replace what I have but another cooking option, bonus is my wife will use it, she's not messing with the charcoal cookers.

Option A) Cook Hot and Fast

Option B) Buy an ATC

Option C) Buy a PG and also keep your current cooker.

Agree with the comment on cooking hotter. Pellet grills are awesome and very hands off but I like it best when I go low and slow. It’s easy to do - no monitoring needed - but sometimes the optimal start time is less than ideal. When I had the KJ I often had the choice between starting at midnight on the Rectec and having a longish rest, getting up at say 4 and using the Rectec and having a couple hour rest, or starting the Kamado at about 6, food on at 7 and still having a comfortable rest. The KJ even without a controller was pretty hands off once I had it stable. With a controller it would have been even easier

My buddy just smoked two 7 lb butts on his kj @225 for 21 hours with a digiQ, I just got a used digi q for pretty good deal,. I say go that route and try it out before spending a lot more on a new cooker. Just my .02

Thanks for the help guys! I am thinking of keeping the Saffire and either getting a Flame Boss or the Auber and try it that way. It's not that I want to get rid of the Saffire but I am tight on room until I get the rest of the backyard finished at the new house. I broke down a couple years back and bought a Genesis. I should probably kick that to the curb if I add a PG. :-D

Thanks for the help guys! I am thinking of keeping the Saffire and either getting a Flame Boss or the Auber and try it that way. It's not that I want to get rid of the Saffire but I am tight on room until I get the rest of the backyard finished at the new house. I broke down a couple years back and bought a Genesis. I should probably kick that to the curb if I add a PG. :-D
I had a Saffire Kamado and did beta testing for the Smobot. It goes on top of your kamado replacing the daisy wheel.

It worked great. It has no blowers so ash fly isn't a problem. And allows your grill to operate how it's designed to.

http://www.smobot.com/

Now I have two pellet grills. While they are easy to start and stop there are issues. your electricity can be interrupted midcook, auger jams, run out of pellets, hot rod stops working , etc. Some don't like the light smoke flavor. For my taste it is a bit light esp when I'm in the smoke.

I'd say for my GMG 90% of the time I have no issues but lately I've been having auger jams. Called GMG customer service and they sent me a new auger assembly. I use my GMG 90% of my cooks because of the wifi. My rectec has never jammed but don't use as much because of no wifi. Once wifi controller is available it will be my go to

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had a Saffire Kamado and did beta testing for the Smobot. It goes on top of your kamado replacing the daisy wheel.

It worked great. It has no blowers so ash fly isn't a problem. And allows your grill to operate how it's designed to.

http://www.smobot.com/

Now I have two pellet grills. While they are easy to start and stop there are issues. your electricity can be interrupted midcook, auger jams, run out of pellets, hot rod stops working , etc. Some don't like the light smoke flavor. For my taste it is a bit light esp when I'm in the smoke.

I'd say for my GMG 90% of the time I have no issues but lately I've been having auger jams. Called GMG customer service and they sent me a new auger assembly. I use my GMG 90% of my cooks because of the wifi. My rectec has never jammed but don't use as much because of no wifi. Once wifi controller is available it will be my go to

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Now another option to consider. I like that this is more of a natural operation instead of blowing air into the bottom. Where did you leave the bottom opening at? Did you not care for the Saffire or do you find the pellet the way to go?

Now another option to consider. I like that this is more of a natural operation instead of blowing air into the bottom. Where did you leave the bottom opening at? Did you not care for the Saffire or do you find the pellet the way to go?

You leave the bottom vent open 1/4"-1/2" and the auto damper just flatout works. I loved everything except the size/price ratio for the Saffire Grill. Plus with 3 kids under 5 I didnt want to mess with live fire.

Pellet Grills are great. I tend to use them a lot more. Like turning on an oven. Most PGs arent good for searing but I love smoking foods so Im okay with that.

Back