Brat Thought

Irrad8

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
KickassBBQs thread on Brats got me thinkin. Is it considered a Brethren no-no to give the Brats a soak in a beer hot tub after they're done. Sometimes I will put them in a hot beer and onion bath for "holding" after I grill them. I think I got that from a beer commercial years ago.:icon_clown

Heck no. The only rule we have about beer is to not waste it, unless of course it is cheap chit.:icon_smil

Personally I like a beer hot tub before grilling. I've found that the beer hot tub after grilling softens the nice, crisp skin.

irrad8, Have you ever had some of our venison brats from Mondovi WI? We usually boil them in Leinekeugels first.

Anyone ever do the beer hot tub in the smoker? Just wondering if that did anything.

I do..

When I do large quantities I always do the beer and onion bath. I also throw in a ton of garlic and some Montreal Steak Season. Just to step it up a little. You can see my baths on the top shelf.

IMG_7704.jpg

IMG_7703.jpg

I do it before and after, and I do it in the smoker. Great smokey flavor...oh and the brats taste great too.

If you don't soak them in beer at some point you've committed a sin.

Brewmaster- that is one awesome load of brats.

Radmanct- yes I have had those and they are fantastic

I do it before and after, and I do it in the smoker. Great smokey flavor...oh and the brats taste great too.

If you don't soak them in beer at some point you've committed a sin.

:roll: Almost woodpile there. LOL

Sooo...how do you guys tell when they're done? Temp alone?
I would think tubbin' them afterwards would make 'em "mushy".
If your'e only smoking them, I suppose the skin doesn't get very crisp,no?
How long to expect to smoke brats?

Sooo...how do you guys tell when they're done? Temp alone?
I would think tubbin' them afterwards would make 'em "mushy".
If your'e only smoking them, I suppose the skin doesn't get very crisp,no?
How long to expect to smoke brats?

I cook them about 45 min. at 250. The bath keeps them from wrinkling and keeps them moist. My $.02

I don't think there is a huge science behind brats. No matter how you cook them, I think with some hot and spicy mustard you can't go wrong.

Hey, has anyone put one in the deep fryer? That would make them crisp.

Cheers,

Nate

I also let them soak in beer in the gullet no atter how I cook them! :biggrin:

"Hey, has anyone put one in the deep fryer? That would make them crisp."

put it on a stick with some breading and you'll have a "corn brat"

mmmmmmmmmmm..............brats! I may have to throw a couple on the smoker this weekend and give them a try.

No.No.No.
Never ever put a brat, cooked or not, in a beer bath. It makes them "mealy" and wastes a perfectly good beer.
Trust me, any beer, if cold enough, is good.
Like I have said before: "Every time a brat is put in a beer bath, a kitten dies".

Back