Question: High Altitude Cooking

Outnumbered

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm doing a comp in New Mexico next month and I'll be about 3,400 feet in elevation. Here in KC I'm about 1,100 feet. How will the altitude impact my cook? Do I need to cook at a higher temp? Take food to a higher temp in order to get probe tender? Will it take longer?

Just trying to plan out my times.

TIA.

At 3400 ft, it will take you a little longer to cook, but probably not too much.

I was camping at 7800 ft last year, and brought a Weber kettle along to cook some ribs hot and fast. What would normally have taken 2 hours wound up being nearly a 4 hour cook!

I would definitely be looking at a higher temp for sure just to be on the safe side.

What will you be cooking on?

I'm doing a comp in New Mexico next month and I'll be about 3,400 feet in elevation. Here in KC I'm about 1,100 feet. How will the altitude impact my cook? Do I need to cook at a higher temp? Take food to a higher temp in order to get probe tender? Will it take longer?

Just trying to plan out my times.

TIA.

3400 shouldn't be a problem, but here is a reference..

high altitude cooking

Another Reference

Water boils at lower temperatures, so you'll definitely want to check the pots periodically to make sure the water is still covering the ribs. :thumb:

Also, air pressure is much less. If you assume pressure is inversely proportional to altitude, then increasing your altitude by a factor of 3 would decrease your pressure by a factor of 3. If you assume the ideal gas law:

PV = nRT,

then you must also decrease the temperature by a factor of 3 to balance the decreased pressure. This means that if you normally cook at 270*, you should be good cooking at 90*, and if you're looking for an IT of 200*, then you should find that your food is done at about 70*. :thumb:

Water boils at lower temperatures, so you'll definitely want to check the pots periodically to make sure the water is still covering the ribs. :thumb:

Also, air pressure is much less. If you assume pressure is inversely proportional to altitude, then increasing your altitude by a factor of 3 would decrease your pressure by a factor of 3. If you assume the ideal gas law:

PV = nRT,

then you must also decrease the temperature by a factor of 3 to balance the decreased pressure. This means that if you normally cook at 270*, you should be good cooking at 90*, and if you're looking for an IT of 200*, then you should find that your food is done at about 70*. :thumb:
FARK!!:doh: Now i know what i've doing wrong!!! Here i thought you just started your pit, got it up to temp and threw the meat on:wacko:
:biggrin1::biggrin1:

The 3400' will take you a little longer. I live around 5400', water boils at 206 and I even add time to my pressure cooked foods.

A comp guy I know that is on the Rocky Mountain circuit has a correction table he uses for the higher elevation cities.

Back