• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Kung Pao Chicken on the Performer

chicagokp

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I made up some Kung Pao Chicken tonight.

Ingredients:
Chicken Breasts
Corn Starch
Sesame Oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
4 Scallions, chopped (separate white from green)
Roasted Peanuts
Fresh Spinach
6 dried chilies

Sauce
1.5 Tbsp Hoisin
2 Tbsp Black Bean and garlic paste
1 Tbsp Soy
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp Siracha
1 Tbsp Vinegar

0D118287-5561-4DF7-B723-92881A97FFD5-802-0000006117604651.jpg

Cook up the chicken. I had about 1/4 cup of oil in the wok. Had to use a foil snake mod to keep the wok from falling in. I just got the grill grate and didnt' realize that my wok is just a touch too small. Set chicken on the side.

The cook the chili's till they turn black and just start to smoke.

5F887EC3-D943-425B-97FD-CB14F2E5BD7B-802-0000006124CDDF5F.jpg

After the chilies turn black, add in the garlic and white scallions. Cook for a few minutes, then add in the sauce, cooked chicken and cook till the sauce gets to a boil. Then add in the spinach in batches.

6BFC12EB-DC76-4DC7-8DBB-C083AB46BB93-802-00000061335546E5.jpg

It will start to wilt and allow you to add more. Then add in the peanuts and green scallions. When all the spinach has wilted and you've folded everything together, it's ready.

57122C75-8B91-4E63-9C33-553D6FD0640D-802-000000613C47848C.jpg

Serve over rice, or noodles.

9D8599F4-0779-427D-97EE-EC2995F92029-802-000000614FAC6EDF.jpg

Enjoy.

Whoa buddy, hold the phone!!! If I can outrun the law, I can make it there in 3 hours flat for leftovers!!!

Quick question about your recipe. What do you do with the cornstarch? And is that 1/4 cup of sesame you add to cook the chicken in, and then it just stays in the pan as you move on to toasting the chiles?

Looks really good! I've tried to cook Kung Pao before, and totally flopped. Your recipe is something I want to try soon!

Quick question about your recipe. What do you do with the cornstarch? And is that 1/4 cup of sesame you add to cook the chicken in, and then it just stays in the pan as you move on to toasting the chiles?

Looks really good! I've tried to cook Kung Pao before, and totally flopped. Your recipe is something I want to try soon!

Cut up your chicken, then add about a TBSP of corn starch and sesame oil to the chicken. Then mix it up with your hands. You want everything well coated. This is the only time I use sesame oil, as a marinade with the corn starch for the chicken.

I do the rest of my cooking with either canola or peanut oil. Get the oil (about a 1/4 cup) nice and hot (near smoke temp) and flash fry the chicken in batches. You may need to adjust your oil amounts between batches. After the last batch of chicken has cooked, then I adjust the oil one last time. You only want about 1/8 of a cup of oil in the wok. Then you add the chilies. I used Dried Mexican Chili De Arbols. Then you should just follow the recipe.

For the spinach, I used a whole bag of the salad in a bag stuff, baby spinach. I used about 3/4 of a cup of peanuts and 2 chicken breasts.

Very interesting you American like this dish too
I am native chinese in Beijing,China.
The right name of this dish in mainland China is called Gong Bao Ji Ding.
Your name must came from TaiWan Or HongKong
This dish originated from Si Chuan province in south west China some 300 years ago after the name of the governor.

This dish originated from Si Chuan province in south west China some 300 years ago after the name of the governor.

Kung Pao is pretty popular in the US. I've seen it referred to as Gong Bao at some places down in Chinatown as well.

There are several Asian/Chinese dishes that get posted on the boards. I'm sure you'd get a lot of interest if you post dishes you make.

Followed your recipe for dinner tonight. I cooked it according to your instructions, but doubled it. Had to omit one item as we couldn't find Black Bean/Garlic paste.

Still, it was VERY good. Thanks so much for the tutorial. Sorry no pics on my end, it didn't last long enough.

Lessons learned:

1) Don't cook stir fry in a paella pan just because it's big. I have a wok, but it's a cheap one, and I thought the paella pan would be better. It wasn't. Even with a splatter screen, I have oil splattered all of kingdom come.

2) You need to keep the oil really hot to get the desired browning. Incidentally this is in direct proportion to the amount of splatter. :)

3) Next time I'll prepare it with rice.

I look forward to making this again!

Glad you liked it. The bean paste is what I had to search for. Took me 3 stores before I found it. Keeping th oil hot is key and I actually switched to cooking outside due to the splatter. It sure makes a mess on the stovetop.

Back