Who's The BEST?

huminie

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Competition BBQ is a bit like college football with no playoff system to determine an overall champion. Add to that the fact that the sport is highly subjective from the get go and the logistics can make it difficult for teams to compete everywhere they would like to.

Just wondering what people's opinions are of who they consider to be "The Best".

Is it Big Poppa's Smokers for winning GC over 154 grand champions in the American Royal Invitational?

Is it Shiggin & Grinnin for winning GC over those 154 grand champions and the other ~350 additional teams at the American Royal Open?

Is it Lucky's Q for winning the tournament style Sam's Club National BBQ tour?

Is it whomever wins the upcoming Jack Daniel's World Championship?

Is it the top team in the KCBS ToY standings at the end of the year?

Or is it the top team in some other national ranking system?

Something else?

There are arguments for and against each one of these as they all have their merits and weaknesses in deciding who the true best is.

All these teams have risen to the occasion and proved they are among the very best, if not THE best, and deserve huge congratulations.

So, in your opinion, who should be considered the best and why?

Very interesting subject!.. IMO, I would think right now, the Best is the Team of the Year, and/or The Sam’s series. This I think, states the best BBQ team of 2012. In my opinion, I think Mike Wozniac, QUAU, is the best BBQ’er of the 21st century. I want to emulate him. He does his own thing, thinks out of the box, and kiss major a$$ when he’s on!!!

If you limit your discussion to primarily KCBS, I think a lot of credit could be given to any or all of those winning teams.

If you include the rest of the BBQ events and sanctioning bodies, there is no way to make any valid statement of who is the best.

There are a heck of a lot of top-notch teams that do not play in the KCBS.

TIM

But the American Royal and The Jack do not limit to KCBS only. We went to the Royal and competed in both the Invitational and Open based on our (only) GC in a PNWBA event, not KCBS. I am pretty proud of how the team did there.

Are there other events that bring in "the big boys" that I am missing?

And just to be clear, the point of this thread is just to generate some friendly dialog based on people's opinions.

If you really want the best (KCBS) you would get 18 of the best judges and take all the teams you have mentioned and every judge tastes everything. Then you would do it two more times for a total of three turn ins across three days.

That would tell more than anything we are doing now.

Does it matter? In the end, even the winner of the AR or Jack or Sam's can still go out there and post a mediocre score the following week. Look at the teams that auto'd into the AR, 7 wins a piece, and no crown.

Does it matter? In the end, even the winner of the AR or Jack or Sam's can still go out there and post a mediocre score the following week. Look at the teams that auto'd into the AR, 7 wins a piece, and no crown.

Of course it doesn't matter! It's just BBQ. But it is fun to ponder.

If I may be politically correct :puke: There are no winners or losers. Can't we all get along? :puke:

No way to tell..

Best answer I can give you is who was the best any particular day at any particular contest.

With subjective judging and many different sanctioning bodies, there cannot be a declaration of "best", only "best that day"

They are all the best:-D

I've got an idea, just need someone with the sponsorship money to make it happen:crazy:

A national BBQ playoff/chase system:
A series of 5 events held in different "BBQ" parts the country using local "expert" judges
Winners of all the big events and the top 5-10 in each major sanctioning body invited
Cummulative points chase - the highest combined point total is the national champion.

There's the idea, just need $500,000 prize fund to make it happen:mod:

The cream always rises to the top., look at the last 4 years (a college career, since that is the analogy used by the OP) over the last 4 years who has consistantly been at the top of the standings, or who has most GC/RGCs. they would have my vote.

Of course it doesn't matter! It's just BBQ. But it is fun to ponder.
if you consider competition bbq a sport it does. i not only want to know who is considered the best year by year but also who is considered the overall best of all time. there should be some designating system.

if you consider competition bbq a sport it does.

Only if bowling is a sport :mmph:

Competition BBQ is a great way to meet others that share your hobby, and win bragging rights, cheap trophies and occasionally a check.

A sport?
Not by my definition :wink:

I have been a spectator and a participant in both sports & BBQ competitions.

One is an athletic event, the other is a fun hobby.

YMMV

Just wondering what people's opinions are of who they consider to be "The Best".

Is it Big Poppa's Smokers .... Is it Shiggin & Grinnin ... Is it Lucky's Q... Is it whomever wins the upcoming Jack Daniel's World Championship?...

Something else?

It's the people who epitomize what the BBQ community should be by always demonstrating good sportsmanship, eagerness to help fellow enthusiasts and just plain fun.

I nominate the late Sam & Diane Grogan of Jus-Fer-Fun Cooking Crew. For me, they will always be The Best.

Back