Money Muscle Identification

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having difficulty locating and separating the money muscle after the butt is cooked.

When raw, there's no problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Hi,

I'm having difficulty locating and separating the money muscle after the butt is cooked.

Thanks,

Eric
If you turn the butt (from east to west) it's on the right side. Cut it out n slice it..... It's pretty good!!!:thumb:

I'm taking it that your joking!!! If not I'm sorry. If no one explains by morning I will.:icon_shy

The white arrows are pointing at the money muscles The parallel stripes of fat make it easy to identify.

moneymuscles2.jpg

When Bigmista says trim it out before cooking, he means something like this.

Before:

PorkButt800-00002.jpg

After:

PorkButt800-00003.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks,

Eric

How high are you taking it? You also should be using an extremely sharp knife.

It is the tube shaped muscle that runs across the butt on the surface on the side opposite the blade bone.

I finally found, I also had a problem locating. I even asked 3 separate butchers and all 3 looked at me like I was from a foreign country. Glad this site is so willing to help newbee's learn. Mister Bob's pictures hopefully help you and others.

I liked the trimmed out advice....just don't part it once cooked and return to cooker...against the law now.

Not meant to hijack this thread since I also had lots of problems with the money muscle and never messed with it, but is it possible to get the pulled and the sliced off the same butt? I always cook for pulled to 195-200* but have read for sliced shoule cook to 185*. Or would I be better off using two separate butts once I get this money muscle figured out?

ya. you can get both from the same, i did it at my last comp, one butt was garbage, and the other was great, so i wanted it all from the same. The key for me is having one helluva sharp blade, bc if its cooked as long as the rest, its really easy to get it to fall apart on ya, use a sharp blade, and use the weight of the knife. at least thats what i do

I have also trimmed out the money and about 2/3 of the way through cooking, while the butt is still in the smoker, wrapped the money in some foil, just to keep it from overcooking...

The white arrows are pointing at the money muscles The parallel stripes of fat make it easy to identify.

moneymuscles2.jpg

When Bigmista says trim it out before cooking, he means something like this.

Before:

PorkButt800-00002.jpg

After:

PorkButt800-00003.jpg

Aha! That explains it all! Thanks SO MUCH for this post and pron!

Not meant to hijack this thread since I also had lots of problems with the money muscle and never messed with it, but is it possible to get the pulled and the sliced off the same butt? I always cook for pulled to 195-200* but have read for sliced shoule cook to 185*. Or would I be better off using two separate butts once I get this money muscle figured out?

Always take "should" with a grain of salt in my opinion.

TMCMASTER -our rules out here in the PNWBA dictate "...must not be parted out during cooking". So, your idea won't work out here. I'm afraid it's two butts to obtain perfect pulled and perfect sliced.

I've had the same question as well. I know where the money muscle is in theroy, but......... This thread will help.

about trimming out the money muscle. i think that liberateing it from the butt too much causing more surface area around the circumfrence causes it to cook faster than the rest of the butt. great for 360* bark but bad for timing if you are using one butt for both. you can always mark it with a toothpick or two if you choose not to trim it out.

I don't doubt a sharp blade would do the trick getting the mm out and using just the one butt - but wouldn't the meat be mushy?

Back