• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

America's Test Kitchen

Big Kahuna

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I realize this post is going to raise some strong opinions but I can't resist. I received my America's Test Kitchen weekly email. This current posting has a review of thermometers and store bought BBQ sauces. I have also enclosed another link for some recipes.
For the life of me I don't know why they didn't review the Thermapen, everyone knows the Orange one is the best.
As for the sauces please keep in mind that the magazine is run by a bunch of Yankee's. Anyway take the information for what it's worth, these links will only work for a short period, about a week.
Al.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/results.asp?docid=10666

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tastetests/results.asp?docid=20160

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/menu_detail.asp?docid=1922&Extcode=L0FN3AA00

I don't really care for it when media outlets do these kinds of surveys on things like sauces because literally everyone likes something different in a sauce. And surveying a half dozen people around the office really doesn't do anyone any good.

I think they didn't review the Thermapen because they were reviewing thermometers to monitor grill temperature and not meat thermometers.

The sauce test results seem "in the ballpark" for common brands. Don't forget these guys are out in Vermont so they are biased by local tastes.

I'm a big fan of Cooks Illustrated but on things as subjective as BBQ sauce only you will know the final answer.

Think they were reviewing pit thermos...not food. In defense of ATK I've seen they give very high marks to thermapen. I'd like to suggest to them that they test each color of thermapen...that way everyone will see that black is best.

Sweet Baby Ray's is the go to bottled sauce in my house

We still have the bottle of Hunt's that my sister-in-law brought over, last summer. I just quietly used either Stubbs or Sweet Baby Rays. She said my 'que always tastes better than theirs. We just smiled, and thanked them. My wife said it's because we use charcoal, and not propane !!

Matt

ATK has reviewed food thermo's in the past, and their favorite was the Thermapen, their best buy was something cheaper (can't remember the brand.)

Their ranking of sauces is laughable.

hmmm, stubbs is not recommended huh? seems funny I have actaully used this sauce on chicken in a comp...... and WON!

I think that if it's not sweet, it doesn't sell in the Northeast. I find that Sweet Baby Ray's is always dependable for catering. I like my own more vinegary. Some customers will go for a vinegar or Piedmont sauce on pork, but not most.

A"bunch of Yankees"? What the heck is that about? You sure don't have to be from south of the Mason-Dixon line to be a BBQ expert. Have you ever had a good lobster roll in Memphis?

I tried stubbs for the first time this last weekend... and although i would not buy it again, i would take it anyday over bullseye..

A"bunch of Yankees"? What the heck is that about? You sure don't have to be from south of the Mason-Dixon line to be a BBQ expert. Have you ever had a good lobster roll in Memphis?
I was just waiting for that one. :thumb: And, living in (not being from) Memphis...What's a lobster roll?:becky:

Sorry, I should have put a smiley face beside that comment. The last time this Canadian was in Texas I was classified as a "Yankee". But I do like Sweet Baby Rays. :roll:

It seems to me that they ran out to the local grocery store and picked up what was available. I noticed all the sauces reviewed were the "original" of each brand. If they are going to review sauces, they should have at least tried and rated the different varieties of each sauce. As a Stubb's sponsored team, we do not like all of the flavors of Stubb's for competition use, but they do have 5 other very tasty products...as do the other brands reviewed. Of course, the review team may not have been trying the sauce on actual food, but just dipping a spoon into the sauce to taste it. That will make a difference in the flavor profiles as well.

A lobster roll to a New Englander what ,a pulled pork on a bun is to someone from the southern U.S. It has as many variations as does pulled pork, but is essentially lobster meat on a roll. Even McD's has them from time to time. I would imagine it would be as least as good as their "riblet".

When you watch their program on TV THEY use the Thermapen. Maybe they were testing low cost solutions ?

I agree with their first place BBQ sauce. Bulls Eye is my favorite with KC second.

As for the sauces please keep in mind that the magazine is run by a bunch of Yankee's.

This Yankee prefers the Stubb's sauce.

Of course up here in the frigid north, we know nothing about BBQ anyway. I mean you would never see a bunch of Yankees win The Jack or anything. :tape:

Wait until you see the new issue of Cook's Illustrated (affiliated with ATK) and there scientific work on BBQ!

Back