• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How much lump?

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Forgive me for asking but the search function on tapatalk blows. Trying lump for the first time this weekend with a 9 lb butt. 22 WSM. How much lump should I pickup?

A small bag is more than enough. I.e. 8.8# royal oak or whatever. Expect better taste, lump rocks!

Keep in mind that lump burns a little hotter than briquets, but burns up faster. You'll have to add to it more often to maintain a steady temp.

I always get a big bag, not like I won't Use it. I fill the ring ad abit on top and close the top vent half way and the bottoms 3/4 open otherwise it runs away fast with lump

Go to Walmart for royal oak. They have like 8lb bags. It's great stuff. I always use it or Stubbs natural briqs for my longer smokes....

Be sure to break up any huge lumps and pick out any bricks or insulation.

One bag should be plenty!

Anxious to hear what you think of it. Be sure to post your cook!

If you set your fire up using the Minion method, enough for a full ring will be more than enough.
I also just go ahead and by the big bags. Like grantw said, it's no like it won't get used and most times you get at least a little break on the cost over the smaller bags.
Royal Oak is the best bang for your buck, in my opinion.
Although if you're feeling flush with cash, I'd recommend The Good One (if you can find it).
Does Colorado Springs have a 'real' BBQ store? Seems like they should since it's a big enough city.
Yep - call these guys and see if they can recommend a great lump charcoal for you:
http://www.cobbqoutfitters.com

The nice thing about lump is that you can re-use any leftover charcoal. Once the cook is done, close off all the vents and let the fire die down. The next day, just shake out all the ash and keep the leftover lump.
I do mainly high heat smokes, so I just stack as much lump as I can for each burn and re-use anything leftover.

It depends somewhat on the type of cooker used. If the lump is loaded right the first time ten to fifteen hours can be done. Put in more lump than you think is enough because as someone mentioned the leftover can be used again.

Did a turkey last week using KBB and fought to keep temps above 300 the whole time with the WSM wide open. Got my pork butt riding at 315 today with the RO lump and 1.5 vents open. Liking the lump already!

I use only Ozark Oak (nice clean burn). They come in 10lbs bags. I would grab around 20lbs to be sure. You would definitely dip into the 2nd bag.

Back