• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

550 fuel tank to smoker

How wide is your door again? i would do 6 inches from each end.. measure the distance between there.. and stick 2 more.. in between those.. towards the middle.. so if in between your 6"s from the edge outside thermos.. is 60 inches.. stick it a 3rd of that space and mark.. drill and mount thermo.. and do the same on the other side.. is what i would say..

new pics

got the racks completed, and strap tacked on. Having trouble with the door sealing completly at the bottom though...

Attachments

• 2011 405.jpg
    2011 405.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 2011 406.jpg
    2011 406.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 2011 407.jpg
    2011 407.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 177
more pics

pics of racks in and strap. Not sure if they are going to stay on the inside or on the outside. We'll see if the door fits better with them on the outside. All suggestions and criticisms are welcome! Thanks.

Attachments

• 2011 408.jpg
    2011 408.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 2011 409.jpg
    2011 409.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Going to make the top of our FB a grill and/or a big griddle. Cooking space will be 40"X25". Prolly won't get to work on the Cooker until this weekend. If anyone has a suggestion or concern let me know now before I make a mistake! lol

I wound up using this to help seal my door.
http://www.bbqgaskets.com/contact_4.html
Still working good after +6 months. Look around at the different types of gaskets he offers - I chose the self adhesive technical felt, but there are other options. Wish I had put straps on the inside like your mockup so the gasket would seat better. I still might add some like you have it.

Thanks dwfisk! I'll look into. My door is out about 3/4 to an inch. from sealing at the bottom. I was thinking about heating it up and bending it??? What do you guys think?

I've never built a smoker, but I've torched a lot of metal over the years.
So yea, I'd heat and bend. You might need some blocks and ratcheting strap to "encourage" things along though.

Neat build though. One of these days I'd love to start a thread like this.

Thanks dwfisk! I'll look into. My door is out about 3/4 to an inch. from sealing at the bottom. I was thinking about heating it up and bending it??? What do you guys think?

Sure. I had to ease mine in about 1/2 inch on one end (the other end was fine). With the top edge held firmly in place (hinge welded in) I put a 2x4 about a foot longer than the door opening at about the mid-point, wrapped a chain around the pit & door and eased it in with a load binder and rachet load strap. Wound up not having to torch it, but I'm sure that would work also.

Dwfisk, it worked! After 2 hours of heat, pounding, ratcheting, and a little elbow grease it fits like a glove! Took the strap off the inside of the tank, and put it on the outside of the door also! Gonna work on FB this evening after work! Thanks again DHQ, dwfisk, and Bob St. Louis for the advice!

Well...didn't get to cut on the FB last night. Had to put strap on the top of the door. Nice and tight fitting though. Went to rinse out the 275 tank, it's way worse off than the 550 tank was. I'll have to fill it again today, and rinse! Then cut!

Due to the weather, haven't been able to work on this build for almost 2 weeks! driving me crazy! Still need to get FB attached to chamber. Ugh... Reading everyone else's progress is killing me!

Back