Jambo backyard or lang 48

Gotta be the elevation. I need one of those Oxygen bottles like they use on the sidelines of the Bronco's games.....

Mine will run all day at 275* i have also tried to cook at 225 with no luck.

Jambo is the better smoker, no question. Insulated firebox is a key component to easily maintained temps.

Been looking at the yoder Wichita and seems to be a well built pit. Just haven't seen to many reviews on it. The cost is about the same as the jambo and lang. But I would save on shipping.

They're both great pits but I think that I would choose the Jambo. The reason why is that for me a traditional configuration with tuning plates gives more versatility than the RF design. With the tuning plates I can get even temps across the pit or I can give myself hot spots or cooler spots in the pit with a simple adjustment whereas with the RF you have a more even temp from end to end that is non negotiable. So, if I want to do more than one kind of meat, at a slightly different temp I can and I can also have a holding area in the pit after setting up for a cooler spot while still cooking in the hot spots. The traditional offset has a little more thinking involved in it but again, the versatility is the key for me!:wink:

:twitch:

I don't know about the jambo or shirley pits but I own a lang 60 deluxe and I'll put it up against anything jambo or shiley has for quailty, overall construction, and cookablity. I can run my pit at 225, 250, 275 or 300 all day long in a rainstrom, bone chilling cold or middle of summer and turn out a great cook... Get a lang you won't regret it!! :thumb:

I don't know about the jambo or shirley pits but I own a lang 60 deluxe and I'll put it up against anything jambo or shiley has for quailty, overall construction, and cookablity. I can run my pit at 225, 250, 275 or 300 all day long in a rainstrom, bone chilling cold or middle of summer and turn out a great cook... Get a lang you won't regret it!! :thumb:
Yep! There's a reason that Lang is one of the top selling pits in the country!:wink:

Here's another point of view...
1. Do know several members here who have the Jambo backyard, a Lang, or both. Either one are excellent cookers.
2. Have seen several Langs of different sizes filled to the point that would stifle and choke other smokers yet have the capacity to chug through the night without hesitation in most weather conditions due to radiating heat from the reverse flow plate.
3. Why do other fabricators try to copy Lang's R/F design if it was an inferior product?
4. Have bought a Lang 48, a Lang 60, and a Lang 84 Deluxe Kitchen because haven't found a better designed offset.

Last edited:
I don't know if Lang designed the RF, but I couldn't tell you didn't either. I don't think anyone is calling it inferior as much as higher priced because it has Lang on it. A lot people when they think if RF automatically think if a Lang, check out the other companies, they produce just as good work or better as a Lang and sometimes are cheaper and can customize it more. That was the selling point for me, Lang would not customize my RF with certain features and the money I was spending I wanted it my way, so I found a company that would.

To clarify, tuning plates are adjustable whereas RF is not. A wider range of temperatures can be gotten in a pit at one time with tuning plates!

I think luke duke was referring to the fact that Jambo does not use tuning plates.

I think luke duke was referring to the fact that Jambo does not use tuning plates.
Oh Hell! I'd forgotten all about Jambo not using tuning plates!:doh: I was just in the mindset of a traditional offset and wasn't thinking. MY BAD! LOL!

Been doing some more research on the yoder wichita loaded and all the reviews I seen so far, have been good. And I like not having to pay for shipping or driving 7 hrs to pick one up. If anyone has one, would like to hear what you think.

I think the Yoder Kingman would be a more "apples to apples" model to compare to the Jambo Backyard. The cook chamber for both is roughly 4 feet long by 2 feet in diameter.

The Wichita cook chamber is 20" diameter by 40" long.

The Kingman is CONSIDERABLY more expensive than the Wichita. You might be able to get a Jambo Backyard shipped for roughly the same price.

I have a Wichita, I picked up last September. I've only had a chance to use it six times, but so far I'm really impressed with it. I, like you was looking at a Lang, but had a chance to see the Yoder in person and that made a difference to me. You should talk with someone at All Things BBQ and see if they have one you can look at. Good luck in your research, you really can't go wrong with any of the brands you're looking at.

Going to go down to all things bbq tomorrow and check out there yoder pits.

So whats the deal with Jambo backyard/jrs? Not actually build by Jamie i take it. Nothing else makes sense to why its a year wait for a big boy J.

Went down to All Things BBQ and checked out the Yoder Wichita Loaded. It's a great looking pit and extremely well built. Talked to Don the owner for a while, answered a ton of questions for me. Extremely nice and knowledgeable. I walked away as a new owner of a Yoder Wichita. Going to pick it up next weekend.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new smoker. Just think of all the meat you can buy with the money you saved on shipping. Enjoy your Yoder!

Back