Venting - sorry

Ford

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Cooks need to understand the rules on prize payouts. If there's no payout listed on the KCBS website or Bullsheet then there's no guarantee letter. Enter at your own risk. Even if it is posted it can be revised with a vote of the BOD (Stagecoash this year). Now that was a good decision and kept the contest going and everybody got a chance to get a refund. In the case of the Dells there's no prize money listed on KCBS so they can do what they like. I hope the BOD asks the reps to talk with them about the problem they have created.

Now as to rules, we keep getting posts on what's legal or how far can we stretch the rules. The answer is read the rules and if it's stated as illegal then that's it. Otherwise it's legal. Now you also need to spend some time reading the Rep advisories on the website (KCBS membership required).

Still it never hurts to also ask here. Hopefully you'll get some good advice along with a million opinions and some are so much fun to read. And we all know opinions are like judge's taste preferences, some know what they are talking about and others are just blowing smoke.:boxing: Judges, please don't get mad at me.

And I think too many people here over think stuff. Teams with a motor home, trailer, etc are probably using propane to heat their sauce. Or they are using a microwave. So are folks with an EZUP and a turkey fryer ring. And so long as the meat isn't in the sauce while heating it's all legal. So why go to all the trouble of a dutch oven for example. I can even put sauce in a 1/3 pan in my steam table and heat, then turn it off when meat goes in and then right back on when meat is out. FYI I don't do this but I use the FE to heat it. However I plan to put the microwave back in and like the idea of a plastic pan with sauce being heated just for pork.

Remember it's just BBQ and taste counts for 4/7ths of the score. If you are getting some 6's or 7's in taste you have a lot more to worry about than trying to find ways around the rules. And if you're getting all 8's and 9's in taste you're probably winning a lot of cash.

BUFP (bring up Ford's post) cuz I agree, not particularly because I do it.

Last edited:
<head is about to explode as a first time competitor!>

If a contest is less than 90 days out and still don't have a guarantee letter on file with KCBS, I don't understand why the damned sanctioning is not pulled. Rules are rules. I had to comply. And I did. Is it now that the season is in full swing that there is not time to keep up with all the violators?

Back