• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

22.5 WSM on the way. Did I go too big?

That's a good choice IMO for your needs. If you occasionally want a smaller cook, you could also add a mini-WSM which would be good for a couple medium/small butts or birds.

I originally bought a 18 1/2" WSM. After using it for about a year, I found I wanted more room, so I bought the 22 1/2" model.
I also use an 18 1/2" ring in my 22 1/2" WSM.
I use both of my WSMs but if I had to have just one, I'd get the 22 1/2" unit.

Oh man, yeah, you way overdid it. You're gonna go broke runnin' that thing. Better send it my way so I can properly dispose of it for you.

Never mind the sig, I got rid of that charcoal eater long ago. Hehe, yeah, too big, that's it. :biggrin1:

i regret that i got the smaller 18" WSM, and could have used the larger 22" one on many many many occasions.... you did good!

I was in the same situation...bought the 22 for packers and couldn't be happier. I don't think the charcoal usage is bad at all.

Go BIG

My favorite cook so far on my 22" wsm is 3 butts on top dripping on a big packer below. Let them run till they hit 150-155 then foil the the finish line.
Total cook is about 10-12 hours. Minion method with pecan splits every 4 hours.
Lots of smokey goodness. Freeze extra meat and eat later.

I use a 18 ring all the time in my 22. works great for ribs, chicken, abt any short cooks. I have gotten 9-10 hours burn @ 250° w/ my 18 ring in my 22 wsm. I love my 22 more than my 18. :cool:

I love my 22.5". I normally only use the top rack but for some larger cooks I have done 4 butts and a full brisket.

I often have to dome my briskets (I love cooking 16 pounders because the flat thickness is consistent) on my 18 but that doesn't seem to make a big difference.

That being said, charcoal is cheap and I wouldn't be complaining one bit if I had the larger one. I just decided to go with a UDS instead.

You can always buy the charcoal ring for the 18.5" WSM to reduce the amount of charcoal needed for shorter cooks. It's rare to hear some say "I wish I had bought a smaller pit" but you hear "I wish i had a bigger pit" all of the time.

Heck...$2 worth of Home depot bricks and some aluminum foil can do the same thing.

I can say that even for 2 the 22 is the perfect size. Imagine this...you want to do steak and potatoes on the grill for 2...the 22 can not only fit everything but you can set up heat zones too.

EDIT - Oops, I was thinking the OP was talking the kettle not the WSM. Anyway, I have the 22 WSM and it's good. It "can" use a lot of fuel but it's nice to be able to load it up. I'm actually planning to do a full packer, a pork shoulder and probably one other thing on mine this weekend (maybe turkey legs).

Last edited:
I've been bitching about not having a 22 instead of the 18 I have because I want to be able to simply lift the top and lay down ribs or a packer w/o having to fuss w/ it.

Last week I bought another 18...so now I have 36" and plenty of room, right? :bow:

(I would gladly trade the two 18s for one 22.)

You made the right choice. :thumb:

Chalk up another vote for 22! Ask how many 22 owners started out with an 18 and you will find out it's alot. You just skipped a costly step so congrats.

You made the right choice IMO....for the extra couple of bucks it will be worth it!

edit, my bad I thought we were talking kettles. Yes I am wondering if I should get a 22 or 18 for a WSM also. I may start with 18 because I see 2 WSMs in my future anyway and I heard the 18 is easier to manage temp

Back