Grilled Game: Bison, Elk, Deer, whatever - Come share your Game Pr0n in here

GrillinFool

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I posted a couple of these in their own threads, but thought I would start a new thread on this. I live in the Midwest and get a lot of requests for game recipes as it seems a ton of recipes rely on Italian dressing and the hunters are getting sick of that.

The first thing to remember with game is it is incredibly lean. The margin for error is very, very small. Overcooking can happen in a blink of an eye. Which is why my buddy told me I was nuts for reverse searing a chunk of bison tenderloin. First I marinated it in coffee stout, garlic and black pepper over night. Then I smoked it for about 40 minutes at well under 200:

Bison101.jpg

Then I seared it over the heat:

Bison171.jpg

And then I let it rest and sliced:

Money-Shot3.jpg

Here's an Elk strip loin (NY Strip) that I did a bourbon marinade on.

Here it is raw:

Elk1.jpg

That sucker is LEAN!!

Did a simple sear on each side and baked for just a couple minutes with a little butter on top:

Elk18.jpg

Here's the final product:

Elk24.jpg

The other half of that bison tenderloin from above, I cooked more traditionally, but I marinated it in a paste of roasted garlic, worcestershire and crushed black peppercorns. This is a garlic lovers we dream.

Roasted garlic:

BisonRG8.jpg

Crushed peppercorns added:

BisonRG10.jpg

I added the Worcestershire Sauce and put in a ziplock over night. The next day it looked like this:

BisonRG13.jpg

I scraped that stuff off and did a traditional sear, bake, rest and serve:

BisonRG16.jpg

Sliced:

BisonRG24.jpg

Plated with some grilled asparagus:

BisonRG25.jpg

What have you got from the game family?

I grill game all the time but I am just getting into the forum and haven't taken any pron pics yet. I love grilling venison, pheasant, waterfowl etc. My favorite is a smoked meatloaf with ground venison and pork.

I have been making goose pastrami every year as a deer camp appetizer. A buddy with a goose camp in Canada gives me boneless, skinless, Canada goose breasts and I cure them in a tenderquick, brown sugar, paprika, allspice, bay leaf, and pepper cure for a week. I then soak them for an hour in water and then dry them. Then I coat with fresh cracked pepper and garlic powder and smoke them until done. I then refridgerate overnight and then slice them up thin. It is tremendous with a few cold ones after coming in from a long day hunting. I keep what I need for my camp and then trade the rest back to my buddy in exchange for Alaskan salmon that he catches each year. It is a heck of a deal for me for just a little prep work and smoking time!

Grillinfool!! I just heard about your site on the point this morning! pretty funny I just registered today looking for some grill advice and saw your name. You're cooking up some good looking stuff dude.

Excellent looking comida. Makes me very hungry. You know what your doing!

Thanks for taking the time to post about your cooks. I look forward to seeing more in the future.

Well I've done several venison m. loafs(everybody loves em). I also have some V. roasts in the deeeeeeep freeeeeeze I've been thinkin on but, I'll have to dig & find them. Oh yours looks yummy

Back