• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I'm not man enough to eat that mess anymore.

Hot dogs, specifically cheap ones. Not only do they make me sick it is not just a sour stomach feeling, it is immediate puking. My wife thought it was a joke but because it is so predictable in me I ate a cheap hot dog and within 10 minutes it was back. She believes me now. I buy all natural wieners made by my local butcher shop. I swear I could eat those things by the dozen before, not anymore. And yes, I have eaten 16 hot dogs and buns in one sitting.

I am finding as I get older, I can't eat a lot at one time (I don't get my money's worth at buffets) but I eat all day long.

Strangely I can eat any fast food (with the exception of Burger King) all day every day and have zero problems. But if I eat anyplace else I will undoubtedly have "an episode" within a short amount of time afterwards. The reaction seems to happen faster with grilled beef. I can eat anything I want at home with no issues with the exception of eggs. Don't know what it is about eggs but they do not like me.

have you become gluten intolerant? That almost sound like a friend if mine who cant eat gluten.....I'd almost say talk to your Dr.

I have always had an iron stomach. As a kid they called me the garbage disposal. Even to this day I can eat anything that I like and in quantities that are not proper. I am not a big guy, 5-8 185lbs, but I can put my 6-3 friends to shame at a buffet. That being said I realy do try to eat properly because I dont really want to die of a heart attack. But if challenged I can eat a lot. I wonder at what age this all starts to change? I know when i turned 30 someone snuck into my yard and raised my basketball goal because that was the last time I ever touched it without a ladder.:tsk:

I enjoy the preparation and cooking much more than the eating nowadays. Experimenting with different seasonings and rubs, tending the fire all day and trying to cook the perfect piece of meat. And feeding others and watching them enjoy the final product. A taste or two is all I need.

Dirty fire & Gas cooked stuff (Southern Pride ect) rip me a new one too.

Yep, that's the thing for me.

Now, for the fellers mentioning prevacid and such. I've had GIRD for 20 years and had made a daily ritual of those wonderful pills. But, when I go toe to toe with dirty smoked or gassed bbq my body says "no sir...I don't like it". Now THAT'S an awful feeling. To know you've already pilled up for the day and still get crushed. Nothing to do then but to cuss a bit while playing solitaire on the can.:heh::heh:

I find that moderation seems to help as well.
Not my strong suit.

"Eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper"

Sometimes, really, the old way is best.

I can still eat most anything but I can't eat nearly as much quantity as I used to, and some foods will keep me up st night. Nexium is a huge help.

FWIW you might be sensitive to something in particular and not know it. Years ago my wife got sick every time we went out to eat. Doctors said it was just nerves but we knew it wasn't that. She suspected all sorts of things and tried eliminating them, but for a while it made no difference. Eventually she figured out it was milk and she was lactose intolerant. This was a while back before everybody knew about it.

My point is that you might have some trigger food that bothers you, and it might not be obvious which food it is.

Also, ingredients make a huge difference. After my wife figured out the lactose thing, she would still get sick if she ate a hot dog. Then we noticed on the labels that most hot dogs include lactose as an ingredient. WTF??? So she takes the pills any time she has a hot dog, and now she can eat them.

I rarely eat out in this day and age, unless I have to due to being out on the road.
About the only place I do go out to eat in this day and age is Fogo De Chao if it isn't because of necessity. I enjoy the atmosphere along with the food, and it doesn't affect me in a bad way.

YES! It is our Joy!
I enjoy the preparation and cooking much more than the eating nowadays. Experimenting with different seasonings and rubs, tending the fire all day and trying to cook the perfect piece of meat. And feeding others and watching them enjoy the final product. A taste or two is all I need.
YES!
I hope many are nodding heads, as tonight my friends loved my ABTs
and chicken w/ Pecan smoke (awesome).

It's probably due to the amount of (lack of) good bacteria you have in your gut. That level seems to wear out with time or on foods that are harder to digest. Try a cup of greek yogurt each morning and see if it improves.

The problem I get is with other people's dry rubs (at restaurants or otherwise.) When I cook for myself, I usually use salt and pepper, maybe some onion powder, and sometimes a little brown sugar. But when I get ribs elsewhere, the seasonings are packed so densely on the ribs that I burp the flavors for two days and get some bad stomach acid until my stomach finally rids itself of the seasonings. I don't know if that's an age thing, or just a personal problem, but I rarely order ribs anymore. I still risk it every once in a while but often end up paying a price. When did "seasoning ribs" become "densely coating ribs" anyway? :shock:

Sounds like a lot of folks on this forum have reached that age...

Well, count me in too. :sad:

I (used to) like to eat out, but it has gotten to the point that there is a good chance I will be sick (to some degree) if I eat at a restaurant. I *really* try to avoid eating out for dinner. Eating out at lunch seems to work best for me (probably because lunch portions are a little smaller.) Or, maybe it's because at lunch we rarely order an appetizer (which we often do at dinner - and it is usually something very fatty and/or fried.)

I think (as others said) you just have to moderate and find out what works for you.

But, you know what they always say about getting old: it beats the alternative! :wink:

Back