• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BIG chuck roll, took a few pics.

R

redbandit98

Ok, so I never take pics of anything I cook. I dont know why. Ive cooked 2 dozen butts, ribs, chucks, chicken etc.. Well, after reading and discovering you all are a fan of the pics, I took a few. Here is the 24 pound chuck roll going on the razordrum. Hopefully, I can take some pics when its done. This baby is gonna take a while to get done. :icon_cool

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg
IMG_0212.jpg

That's a cool looking drum - I'm curious what the impact on airflow is having the valves up higher rather than lower...might actually work better than putting them higher than lower like most of us have them.

We sure love pictures, looks great so far:eusa_clap. Make sure we get an after picture.

That's a cool looking drum - I'm curious what the impact on airflow is having the valves up higher rather than lower...might actually work better than putting them higher than lower like most of us have them.

No, they don't work better higher.

Chuck rolls are the bomb but take a LONG time! Keep coming with the pics and updates.:biggrin:

Looks great- can't wait to see the final product.

hahah well its 6 pm here. I put it on the smoker at 9pm yesterday. SOB is still cooking.. :icon_bugeyed Its acutually only at 170 right now. Looks like it may take the whole 24 hours to cook, maybee longer... :eek:

note to self, next time do not buy a 24 pound chuck roll. Buy the smaller one. I think its because its one big "hunk". The last roll I did was about the same weight but it was spread out more, sort of like a brisket. This bad boy is like a freaking box. Its dang near proportional in size.

A friendly suggestion you might consider in the future when cooking one this size. Cut it in half, or even in three or four even sized pieces. Cuts down on cooking time and increases surface area for more rub and bark formation.

yes I know thats what I should have done. I told myself I would after the last one. I got it home though and unwrapped and I was in such awe of its brute size and beauty, I could not bring myself to cut it in half. I will next time for sure. Thanks for the advice.

note to self, next time do not buy a 24 pound chuck roll.

I buy those big 'uns cuz they're cheap here. Then I cut them in quarters and each quarter is about the size of a pork butt. They cook OK, take maybe 10 hours that way.

seattlepitboss

Back