BBQ with Franklin: The Wood Pt.3

Judging from the first three videos you can tell they are really aiming this from the total n00bs perspective. I dont expect anything ground breaking in this series to be honest with you.

First time I've heard that pecan is stronger than hickory.......

First time I've heard that pecan is stronger than hickory.......

Since I've been here, I've always heard folks say it was the other way 'round. :confused:

There are elements of pecan that some folks, mostly those that like a stron hickory smoke, do not like about pecan. They are closely related woods, and it is likely, that depending on region, there are differences in the woods. Pecan has a wider range of growth, so it is likely that is varies more. For me, the local source for pecan are very mild, but, I have bought pecan that was every bit as strong as hickory.

I also thought I saw a video somewhere where he uses white oak. He called it "post oak" in this video and I thought that "post oak" was a term for red oak.

I'm just saying that there's a difference in red and white oak. Depending on which oak he's talking about, that may also be the difference with the comparison between oak and pecan.

I also always thought pecan was a little milder than white oak. Red oak seems to have a little more flavor than white.

Of course, I could be COMPLETELY wrong here too.

Back