• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Getting Ready-Smoking on the RIO

jgh1204

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Selma, TX(You better slow down when you hit town)
First Comp is Saturday, brisket turn in is 4:30PM so I want have to start cooking until about 2AM. The 3 briskets I got today are small, about 10lbs each. But they looked good and they are CAB.

Got the bandera and the brinkman loaded in the truck and now I am getting my box of rubs, sauces, spices, tools, etc ready. I set the over/under for trips to HEB for stuff I forgot at 3.

I am going to be cooking brisket, ribs(st louis spares) and chicken. A buddy of mine is going to do the beans and fajitas.

www.smokinontherio.com

Not too late for some of you central Tx farkers to head South!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Best of luck to ya, jgh! Anxious to hear about Walter's BBQ success!

Wow! Just looked over their site... they add $100 to the entry fee (almost doubled!) if you register after February 1!!! That's wild! Never have seen that up this-a-way! maybe $25-$50 but never $100! hope you registered early!

It is exciting--for sure.
Just relax, cook, and enjoy.
Have a great time :lol:

Let us know how it turns out.

TIM

Good Luck !!

hopefully you'll be able share some winning results....

or at the very least tell us you had a blast even if things didn't exactly go according to plan...

They actually were letting people in at $150 up until last Friday. I registered in early January. This is a new cookoff, just 3 years old. They have doubled in size each year. 17, 33, 75.

The City of Edinburg just announced a July 4th cookoff with 15K in prize money. If I do ok here, I may try that one.

I am just hoping for a top 10 finish in one category and to have fun!

Good Luck Gregg,give it your best shot and have fun.Do you have any Brethren stuff?(shirts,hats,etc.)

Best wishes and great time! Have a good weekend and do your best. Learn, have fun, and do well!

Good Luck! Bet it is going to feel good to scratch that itch. Post your results!

IF you want a good list of stuff to remember to keep your "forgot it" trips down, I've got a spreadsheet I use when loading. Also - out on the KCBS site, they have an article for " First Contest" - that is pretty good, and also has a checklist. http://www.kcbs.us/features/bullsheet/backyard_to_competition.jsp

The ONLY thing good about winter is the taste of spring.

Go Get em.

Did ok, out of 76 teams participating, I got 2 top 20, final tables, out of the 3 I entered(brisket and chicken). I have to say, I was fairly shocked my ribs did not, but oh well.

My buddy got to the final table on fajitas.

The prize money brought teams from all over Texas.

"Did ok, out of 76 teams participating, I got 2 top 20,"

That, my friend, sounds like some outstanding results :lol:

Great Job!

TIM

Back