First pron

marshman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Wel, here we go, first full-blown smoker run. It seemed to me there's no reason to fire this mutha up and NOT fill it, so here's the list:

Chuck roast, @ 2.5 pounds
Pork roast (I forget the cut), @ 2.5 pounds
Brisket, @ 1.5 pounds
2 HUGE turkey wings
Whole chicken, cut up by grocerystore butcher

Lite rubs on the beef & Pork (not long enough, could barely taste 'em), Poultry left plain.

Put the thickest pieces nearest the firebox, and the thinner poultry bits furthest.

Used the Coffee Can firestarter/Minion method to fine effect. Thanks for that, LMAJ.

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 228
2 hours later, I shifted things around a bit to slow the beef down. Also added an onion and a few slices of polenta I had sittin' around, just to see how they came out.

Wow. Turns out the hardest part of this "Q"-ing is not messin' around with it...after years of open-flame grilling, I'm used to playin' with everything all the time.

Attachments

• dscn0004.jpg
    dscn0004.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 229
Looking good so far! I've never seen a 1/5 lb brisket! Must be a baby :-D

I'm interested in how he polenta comes out.

Finally...

It's time to eat! About 5 hours for the last piece to come off, and about 20 minutes to rest before carving. About 15 minutes later, it started to HAIL, 1/2 inchers, my pool looked like it was boiling vigorously.

Here's some Brisket, some chicken parts and some Chuck. Forgot to photograph the pork, my bad. Served with a salad and a pasta & cheese dish.

Attachments

• DSCN0007.jpg
    DSCN0007.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 223
It was a small brisket, but I didn't want to be too long out ther smokin', so I got the smallest one they had.

Polenta was OK, but on too long and it got kinda rubbery. Thinking about it, the Polenta I buy is pretty much 'pre-cooked', and it's really just on me to warm it up, so an hour would probably have been plenty. It did pick up some smoke flavor, too, in a good way.

Thanks!

Looks good! That is a full load. Did you find it hard to maintain Temp's by having so many meat types, with the need to open the cooker to adjust.

I'm sure I would have had I been looking at it, but I don't have a built-in thermometer, so I couldn't say. To account for it, I set a timer in the kitchen for 45 minute intervals and kept my nose outta the smoker all the time. I suspect that helped. I finally, after 4 hours, started trying to check meat temps with a therm, and found most of it was nearly done at that point. I only had to reload with a dozen or so briquets at that point to finsih out the run.

Sounds and looks good.

A tip for you...for added tenderness, make your slices across the grain rather than with it.

nice job!

Nice job Marsh - will be awaiting my dinner invite...:biggrin:

Wel, here we go, first full-blown smoker run. It seemed to me there's no reason to fire this mutha up and NOT fill it, so here's the list:quote]

Amen Brother.... fill'r up that is some good looking grub rit there.

Looks good, Marshman!
I agree with the idea that if you're going to fire it up...fill it up.
You can always freeze the left-overs.

Looks great. What are the round things in bottom left?
attachment.php

Yeah, that brisket was more like london broil with a 1/2 inch fat on the bottom. Tasted purty dern good, though!

I 'scooped' the stalk outta the onion and filled it with garlic olive oil, then stabbed the hole a couple dozen times with a toothpick--good schtuff.

Back