• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Is Minor's Beef Base worth the money?

B

bo_gator

I was looking around on the net, and the Minor's Beef Base that Myron Mixon talks about in his book is pretty pricey. My question, is it worth the money :?: After all it is just beef base :bored:

I think its good. If you have a gfs by you they carry it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

If you do a blind taste test between several of the competing products, it would probably be hard to tell the difference.

I use it all the time and I think it is one of the better bases. But nothing tastes better than making stock for your self. That being said making a scratch stock is time consuming.

My preference is "Better than Bouillon" bases, but I have not had Minors, so I can't say which is better. That being said, as was mentioned above, If you have the time and patience for fresh natural stock, it can't be beat.

KC

BJ's sells it, rest depot sells it, cheaper than direct..been using it since 1992...you can make gravy that taste like fresh drippins..they have a seafood one, Chippotle, pork, ham..roasted chicken..

I use it all the time and I think it is one of the better bases. But nothing tastes better than making stock for your self. That being said making a scratch stock is time consuming.

I used to be of that mindset too, and then I got a pressure cooker. Homemade stocks are no longer time consuming. Takes me about half an hour on the outside, from loading it all up, reaching the proper pressure, and cooking it all down into the stock. I still put it in the refrigerator overnight after straining so I can skim whatever fat is in it of course.

I think it is better.

Also, if you have access to a Restaurant Depot, they carry all varieties of Minors, at a decent price. They make some really good stuff.

wallace

I am a fan of minor's products, specifically the beef base. I prefer BTB for chicken though.

I would bet if I did a blind test, I would probably not know the difference, but who does blind taste tests?

When you're cooking large amounts that require this sort of thing Minor's is top of the line.

For those in the upper midwest, I recommend a base by Karlsberger if you can get your hands on it. It is made in Monticello, MN and I can't imagine cooking without it. I use their Beef and Chicken base. There is not Minor's in my area to my knowledge.

Back