So you say. My UDS has never seen a charcoal briquette. I modify how strong the smoke is my mixing woods. I use alot of maple & fruit woods with a little oak or hickory for a milder smoke.

Are you saying your drum is a stick burner???

Hey boys,

I'm thinking about installing a dial thermometer to my drum. I am getting tired of "forgetting" my digitals outside, then they get weathered and I have to buy a new one.

Spicewines thermometer has a 2 1/2" probe. Do you think the temps need to be read at the center of the grate or will that be fine.

The "forgetting" part is Mr. Jack Daniels fault. He always screws me up by the end of a long cook.

Get the one with the short probe & add 30* for the center temp. A longer probe will be a problem for your charcoal basket. Place the thermo just under the lower grate.

UDS III with "Slide Control"...

Started work on my next build today...here's a few in progress pics.

Food grade...

IMG_6159.jpg

Contents was EVOO...

IMG_6160.jpg

Lid off...

IMG_6165.jpg

Slide control layout...

IMG_6166.jpg

Vent hole cut out...

IMG_6168.jpg

Gonna use some leftover BGE gasket to seal...

IMG_6169.jpg

Off to Home Depot for some stainless hardware...stay tuned. :biggrin:

I'll be here, how about using allen heads for the bolts.

2wqa1p5.jpg

Allen heads with a stainless washer matches the temp gauge better.:twisted:

I'll be here, how about using allen heads for the bolts.

Stainless button heads would look lots better.

2wqa1p5.jpg

Allen heads with a stainless washer matches the temp gauge better.:twisted:

Sorry guys...I went with ugly cheapo machine screws. I'm doing something a bit different this time. I'm installing 3/8-16 x 1/2 long bolts and am drilling them out to accept a #8 screw that is 2 inches long. My goal is to be able to remove them at any time so I can nest my WSM inside for transport to and from competitions.

Mod pics...

PB240002.jpg

PB240005.jpg

Last edited:
That is a pretty sweet idea JD...not sure I could pull it off, but I like the idea.

Hey, so I thought I would give the UDS a try. I aquired a drum today but I am not sure about it. I have looked through most of the posts and haven't seen one like it. It has no rolling rings and I am wondering if it is a heavy enough gauge. I had to cut the lip off to get the Weber lid on it and it seems a little "flimsy" now. Anyone ever used this type before?

Last edited:
That is a pretty sweet idea JD...not sure I could pull it off, but I like the idea.

I'm pretty sure it will work...I'm limited as to how much stuff I can haul and want to streamline / downsize as much as possible. Being able to nest my two WSM's inside two UDS's along with charcoal baskets, charcoal, etc will be a big help. I'll finish the first UDS this weekend...if my charcoal baskets are finished by then. If not I'll do a dry run with the WSM ring.

Hey, so I thought I would give the UDS a try. I aquired a drum today but I am not sure about it. I have looked through most of the posts and haven't seen one like it. It has no rolling rings and I am wondering if it is a heavy enough gauge. I had to cut the lip off to get the Weber lid on it and it seems a little "flimsy" now. Anyone ever used this type before?

I've seen the rib-less ones but not one with the top ring cut off. Usually folks cut up the kettle bottom to fit inside. I imagine it is a bit flimsy without the support of that ring. Should still work just fine though...just be careful not to bend it out of shape moving it around. :p The top looks like it fits great!

I want to see someone mod a uds with a 35 inside an 85 suspended with insulation and a protected fire pit and a grate that is adjustable and a heat defusing plate. Oh and then paint it green.

I'm looking for any reason to not go stuff 100 poppers.

I didn't want to mess with the lid cause I still use it for my kettle. Ahh if it bends eventually I get another drum.:biggrin:

Chris

JD,
Looks like it is time to change your coolant.It looks pretty rank . You using petroleum based or soy based coolant ?
Raz

Back