Jack Questions

Coz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ok for all of us ignorant newbies,please explain the draw process etc.We are trying to figure out if we should go to the Royal or take our lumps in the Jack Draw.Cant go to both.If I have it figured right for Wi. for this years draw theres a 1 in 6 chance?

You don't ever give up an opportunity or the chance to go to the Jack...

That is all I can say...

Worry about the days IF you get get lucky enough to have your name drawn....

You'll win more and get the chance at the Royal again. But you may only get drawn once for the Jack. If you can only do one then wait and hope. And if you don't win the draw find a contest in October that counts for next year and start the process all over again.

Ok for all of us ignorant newbies,please explain the draw process etc.We are trying to figure out if we should go to the Royal or take our lumps in the Jack Draw.Cant go to both.If I have it figured right for Wi. for this years draw theres a 1 in 6 chance?

I've only concerned myself with the Jack just because that i don't want to go to the royal and be parked around a bunch of yahoo's who want to do nothing but party and steal you stuff. If i could park with the people i want to park with, i'd do it. I remember that it has been said, a few years ago that the royal used to park all the invitational teams together. I'd go if that'd happen.

I've only concerned myself with the Jack just because that i don't want to go to the royal and be parked around a bunch of yahoo's who want to do nothing but party and steal you stuff. If i could park with the people i want to park with, i'd do it. I remember that it has been said, a few years ago that the royal used to park all the invitational teams together. I'd go if that'd happen.

Then pack your things! The Invitational teams are pretty much altogether, unless you ask to be somewhere else or procrastinate in getting your info turned in. As for getting a space next to the Midwest Mafia or A Team or whatever the name is this week, just look at the map and space assignments from last year and figure out who's not coming back. Those spots will be available this year. The legend of the American Royal is so much bigger and badder than the reality. If the opposite were true, nobody would return. Come on up and play with us in Kansas City!

Rod

You don't ever give up an opportunity or the chance to go to the Jack...

That is all I can say...

Worry about the days IF you get get lucky enough to have your name drawn....
I hope that the guy from long island who is in the draw who won a contest in sayville and runs a bbq forum board is LISTENING !!!!!!!!!

Then pack your things! The Invitational teams are pretty much altogether, unless you ask to be somewhere else or procrastinate in getting your info turned in. As for getting a space next to the Midwest Mafia or A Team or whatever the name is this week, just look at the map and space assignments from last year and figure out who's not coming back. Those spots will be available this year. The legend of the American Royal is so much bigger and badder than the reality. If the opposite were true, nobody would return. Come on up and play with us in Kansas City!

Rod

I reckon i need to re-visit this then !.. how do i get a map of space assignments ?

I reckon i need to re-visit this then !.. how do i get a map of space assignments ?

Podge-
You can see a map of assignments here:
http://americanroyal.com/portals/0/07Barbecuemap.pdf
The link is on the online application...by the part where you list your preferred spot assignment.

We have been in Lot B (where most invitational teams are for the most part) in spot 750 for 4 years (on "Spice & Dice" Row). Being in an isolated area near the edge of the contest helps. Plus we like our neighbors...they all been there as long or longer than us...and that is also the cheapest spot they have ($175 for 20x25 fits out cooker, tent and my pickup). We just need to do something about our results!

When is the cut off for this year?

Sled-
The cut off for returning teams to save their space is this Friday - 7/18. The deadline to send your application in for the invitational is Sept. The deadline for the open is August 8. But if anyone is wanting to get a good spot I'd call them asap.

When is the cut off for this year?

The cutoff for returning teams requesting to have their same space is this Friday July 18th. The deadline for all teams wanting to cook in the Open is
Aug.8th or when all spaces are full, whichever comes first. Invitational teams wanting to cook in the Open also must enter the open ahead of time.
Basically the earlier you enter, the better chance you have of getting your requested space or close to it.

Rod

I wonder why the Royal has never sent me any material for this year's contest? I wonder why I qualify for the Invitational and I don't get a offer? I mean, they do treat their cooks with the utmost respect and dignity...

As for just take a look at the map. Unfortunately, the map does not show that your neighbors are going to be having a party until 3:00 am or allow their drunken idiot guests to steal fire extinguishers and who knows what else. It also doesn't show how you will be treated unfairly by the Royal CEO and his head henchwoman BBQ Organizer.. Who has about as much of a clue about BBQ and what we do as we have knowledge about finger nail painting... Where all of a sudden it's the victim's fault and not the drunken idiots or the Royal for that matter to accept blame. I mean, it is our responsiblity as Invitational cooks to police our neighbors and to call them in to Barney Fife and his security crew...

sorry... Just a quick rant...

tent and my pickup). We just need to do something about our results!

Sled-
The cut off for returning teams to save their space is this Friday - 7/18. The deadline to send your application in for the invitational is Sept. The deadline for the open is August 8. But if anyone is wanting to get a good spot I'd call them asap.

The cutoff for returning teams requesting to have their same space is this Friday July 18th. The deadline for all teams wanting to cook in the Open is
Aug.8th or when all spaces are full, whichever comes first. Invitational teams wanting to cook in the Open also must enter the open ahead of time.
Basically the earlier you enter, the better chance you have of getting your requested space or close to it.
Sorry let me rephrase What date is the cutoff to win a contest and get in to the Jack for 2008?

I wonder why the Royal has never sent me any material for this year's contest? I wonder why I qualify for the Invitational and I don't get a offer? I mean, they do treat their cooks with the utmost respect and dignity...

As for just take a look at the map. Unfortunately, the map does not show that your neighbors are going to be having a party until 3:00 am or allow their drunken idiot guests to steal fire extinguishers and who knows what else. It also doesn't show how you will be treated unfairly by the Royal CEO and his head henchwoman BBQ Organizer.. Who has about as much of a clue about BBQ and what we do as we have knowledge about finger nail painting... Where all of a sudden it's the victim's fault and not the drunken idiots or the Royal for that matter to accept blame. I mean, it is our responsiblity as Invitational cooks to police our neighbors and to call them in to Barney Fife and his security crew...

sorry... Just a quick rant...

We're qualified for the invitational, but have to chase down the information to actually attend as well.

Sad to say, I have not spoken to one person who's attended the Royal, who has said anything other than "I'll never go again".

Let me say one thing... Just to clarify...

I love the contest. I do not like the idiots that are in charge of the contest. They do not treat us cooks with any respect. They flat out told me that they could care less if my team didn't come back, as they will find more cancersuckschicago.com kind of teams.... I hate to tell them this, but the well for finding new teams willing to travel and spend thousands of dollars to come to their event is not endless...

I will not go back to this contest as long as the CEO and his BBQ Organizer are in charge.

Let me say one thing... Just to clarify...

I love the contest. I do not like the idiots that are in charge of the contest. They do not treat us cooks with any respect. They flat out told me that they could care less if my team didn't come back, as they will find more cancersuckschicago.com kind of teams.... I hate to tell them this, but the well for finding new teams willing to travel and spend thousands of dollars to come to their event is not endless...

I will not go back to this contest as long as the CEO and his BBQ Organizer are in charge.

Can I have your spot? :wink:

We're qualified for the invitational, but have to chase down the information to actually attend as well.

Sad to say, I have not spoken to one person who's attended the Royal, who has said anything other than "I'll never go again".

Give me a call. I was with Ray last year, and I'll be there with Phil this year.

Are there issues? Absolutely. You can't put that many people in one place without having a few. There are also a lot of friends that I don't get to see often that will be there. If you have a bad day on Saturday, you get a shot at redemption on Sunday. The Jack may be the most exclusive contest in the world, but at the Royal you get the opportunity to take on anybody that's won a qualifier and is willing to show up. The next day you get to do it again with most of those teams, and around 400 more.

Your experience might not be the best if you choose to go. It's certain that you won't have a great time, if you don't go.

I have to say this... After our first contest being the Royal Open in 2005, I was fully prepared never to return. Then I discovered in 2006 while helping the Mokan Meatheads prepare for their party and in 2007 when I got a chicken call with the Meatheads that places other than the dark side aren't so bad. Then I changed my mind and said I'd only cook it again when I earned a spot in the Invitational. Now that we have that invitation coming, I'm pumped to go back to do both contests. It will be a first for me doing two in one weekend and I'm a little nervous about my endurance. But we'll make do because the Royal Invitational and the Jack are the two events we ALL strive for every year. Having said that, I am always vigilant at any contest I go to. Once I determine I have neighbors who are partying, I've been known to report it to KCBS reps or contest officials when things get out of control or quiet hours are violated. I don't guess that's my job but if no one else is gonna do it, I might as well. I'm hoping we land a spot next to quiet folks. If not, we'll make the best of it, report violations of rules and thanks to Scottie's experience, we'll keep valuables secured at night and when we aren't at the site. I think I'll chain my Therma-Pen to my body for the weekend. I'm always concerned about someone walking by and seeing it! LOL!

Back