Mother's Day on the Kettle

Hitman0321

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So, it has been an interesting weekend in our house. I got home from ferrying some airplanes around the other day to learn that my wife (hereinafter referred to as Pregosauraus Rex) is pregnant with our 3rd (and final) child. As such, it seemed fitting to do a Mother's Day dinner that was her choice. She wanted ribs and homemade bread, so that is what I did:

The bread I started last night, it is a no knead recipe that is super easy and awesome, cooked in a dutch oven in the oven. Here is how it looked after about 16 hours of rising:

Around noon I prepped (for the first time) some spare ribs trimmed to St. Louis. Keep in mind my butchery skills are not what is important. Since there is a kettle throwdown and I was going to have it going anyway, I decided to do 2 pounds of eye of round for roast beef ($2.00 per pound, why not?).

Notice the garbage can/wind break:

This is the grill Buddha, bought in Okinawa on Sept 11, 2001 and a veteran of 7 combat tours since :shock:

A couple of hours in the roast beef and rib tips were done, and it seemed like a good idea to wrap the ribs with some butter and brown sugar.

At this time, I got the bread ready for the second rise and got it ready to be transferred to the cast iron.

About 30 minutes before the ribs were done I started cooking the bread, and it came off just before the ribs were pulled.

Bread done.

Ribs finished up out of the foil for about 20 minutes.

Cut and tested/plated.

I planned on more pics but they were destroyed before I had a chance to sit down, so I will call it a success!

Thanks for looking, and happy Mother's Day all!

Hitman

great looking cook...love to hear more details on the bread!

The bread is really easy, just a bit time consuming while the yeast works. It is made from:

3 cups bread flour (more gluten than AP, but I think AP would work)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp instant yeast
12 oz room temp water

The best way to show is from a video, here are a couple and both are work and family safe:

Jim Lahey kind of developed it: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU"]No Knead Bread | Mark Bittman Recipe | The New York Times - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yePMpoyXwys"]Ultimate Introduction to No-Knead Bread (4 Ingredients... No Yeast Proofing... No Mixer) - YouTube[/ame]

I cook it at 450 (oven temp) in the dutch oven for 30 minutes and then uncover it until it is the color I like, usually about 7 minutes.

Aside from the waiting, it really takes less active time to make than it does to write about it. Try it out, it is really awesome.

Hitman

Back