All About RIBS!

BobBrisket

Reaction score
RIBS!(Beef, Pork.....) Everything you ever wanted to know, ask, and share when it comes to meat on a stick!
The purpose behind this thread is to eventually create one general thread that any member can refer to and find information about RIBS! In this thread you can share advice, tips, tricks, techniques like 3-2-1, foil no foil, membrane removal, etc., success stories, failures, non pron posts, pron only posts, to simply ask a quick question that requires a simple answer and not an entire thread about it, or even link to your favorite rib threads already on this forum. The idea is to keep the thread constantly evolving with information about RIBS!

(If it works, I'll create other threads for brisket, pork butt, chicken, etc in the next few weeks.) The other reason behind it is to have one main thread that will pop up when conducting a search that will provide a bulk of the GREAT information that is already out there about the topic, but in consolidated form, to new members, lurkers, etc.......kinda like the UDS thread is now. Plus, it will have new and current information as well. I also hope to highlight the great information that is located in Roadmaps, but that most may not know exists, to highlight some great threads that are already out there on the subject, and to share a little on my part.)

Here's a link to the All About BRISKET! thread.

I'll start off by sharing the links and member comments in our Roadmap Forum on Ribs which already have some great information to start off with.

Pork Ribs
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6963
Good info on the 3-2-1 rib technique.
Post subject: farked up $15 worth of spares PostPosted: Oct 06, 2003 - 02:04 PM

Poobanian Rack Attack. (Babyback sammich)
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=18055

Clarification of 3-2-1 Method
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9030
Posted: Aug 08, 2004 - 07:50 AM
Help for a Novice by Mrkkti

Here's a favorite Short Beef Rib thread of mine by SmokinAussie:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100623&highlight=beef+ribs

Pron Heavy Rib Thread from our Throwdown Forum:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81711&highlight=ribs

And some of my rib pron. I'm more of a beef rib and pork rib tip kinda guy:

Okay, now it's your turn!

Last edited:
Cool. I'll be the first to toss in some STL Pron:
Sidebysideribs.jpg

Cookedsidebysideribs.jpg

BBQScore001.jpg

BBQScore002.jpg

December09086.jpg

RibsFoilvsNoFoil.jpg

Bitetest.jpg

How about some feedback on the rubs and sauce/glaze? Any thoughts on using a mustard slather vs. not using it?

I'd hit that!

Bob

How about some feedback on the rubs and sauce/glaze? Any thoughts on using a mustard slather vs. not using it?

I'd hit that!

Bob

I like the mustard slather. I let my ribs "marinate" in the rub overnight. When I use the mustard slather, it creates a really pasty goo all over the ribs that makes a good bark on the ribs during the cook. It also seems to increase the brightness of the smoke ring in the ribs, which, while I don't think it adds to the flavor, sure looks cool.

As for rubs, I use my own. I've just never found a commercial rub that has the same flavor profile I put in mine.

Cool thread!

I'm a ribs on the flat - unwrapped style cooker. I usually use a BGE but have cooked a lot on live fire as well. I season with a Garlic/Salt/Pepper on the bone side and then something more interesting on the meat side. Of course I trim to a hard St. Louis line and remove both the membrane and soft bones on the end.

I do spritz with apple juice and some other sweet & savory ingredients several times during the cook.

I typically don't sauce backyard ribs, but absolutely do for contests.

Here ya go...

4657244577_260f26ffd2.jpg

4657239207_12d6ee6b9f.jpg

Wow, that's some great info. Thanks, Bob. The pron is great, too. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my ribs "shiny" - can anyone throw me a BONE on that one? (pun intended)

For those of you that prefer the STL style, how do you use all of the trimmings? Thanks for participating.

Bob

For those of you that prefer the STL style, how do you use all of the trimmings? Thanks for participating.

Bob

OMG... I use them for EVRYTHING. In my beans like Chambersauce, ground up and mixed in with beef for awesome burgers, as a BBQ pizza topping, shredded up inside enchiladas...Oh... and I munch on 'em too while the rest of the slabs finish cooking.:heh:

Wow, that's some great info. Thanks, Bob. The pron is great, too. I'm still trying to figure out how to get my ribs "shiny" - can anyone throw me a BONE on that one? (pun intended)

I could Dan....but I dont want to:twisted::twisted::twisted:

Ken

Thinned out honey and even fruit preserves will accomplish this. I think the key is in the application though, right at the very end.

Great pr0n and info already! Here is how I cook the STL trimmings. I slice them about 3/4 thick perpendicular to the cartilage. Then, I rub them just like ribs and let them sit until they start to sweat which is usually about a 1/2 hour.

Once they are ready, I put them in the smoker at 275 degrees F and cook them for about 1 hour. Then, I wrap them in foil with a little liquid like AJ and let them cook another 2 hours and then I check them for tenderness. If they are tender I pull them out of the cooker. If not, I let them cook another 30 minutes and check them again. I repeat the process until they are at the tenderness I like.

I foil them pretty fast because they have a tendency to dry out. This method has always resulted in tender juicy rib tips.

picture.php

picture.php

I take my rib trimmings, clean them up real carefully, and coarse grind them for breakfast sausage. A bit of sage, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and ACCENT (msg). Pretty Tasty!

Anybody smokin up some ribs this weekend? How are the practice cooks going?

Bob

THAT ^^^^ is an awesome tutorial. Great addition.

I'll throw in on what I know.....

I've tried both WITH and WITHOUT mustard slather and in my opinion, it's not necessary. I get my rub to stick just fine without the mustard. Some folks swear by it and that's cool and all, I just don't bother wasting the mustard anymore.

I like to cook my ribs on my UDS. When I really need to load it up, I use two side-by-side rib racks (buy at Lowe's) and I can get 6 racks on each of my cook racks. I like to go every other space so there's plenty of room for the smoke and heat to move around the racks.

I also like to cook my ribs a little hotter than the typical "low n slow". I usually go for about 275-300 for about 4 hours and NO FOIL. That's just me. Do what you like. I just don't bother with foil anymore.

Here's a pic of when I had 12 racks of baby's on.....
DSCN3342.jpg

For me, they're done when the meat pulls back from the bone and they pass the "bend test". That means when you pick the rack up with a set of tongs and let 1/2 the rack bend down and it JUST starts to break under it's own weight......THEY PASS!

When I finish them, I like to glaze them with sauce and let them cook for about 10 minutes. Best farkin ribs I ever made right here....
DSCN3354.jpg

Mmmmmmm.......ribs.......
These were spares:
IMG_1168.jpg

I've only done beef ribs once. They were darn good.....but as of right now....I like pork ribs better.

I did my beef ribs with EVOO, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. The rack I got wasn't the best and didn't have a lot of meat on it. I was told to get CHUCK RIBS instead of what I did get, which was beef back ribs.
Here's a thread I posted when I did mine and got a lot of great info and suggestions:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103210&highlight=wampus+beef+ribs
Here's a shot of a beef ribs.....
IMG_1741.jpg

GREAT THREAD BOB!!!!!:thumb::clap2:

I have using an idea I read about a while ago, sugars when caramelized form a blanket that do not allow anything else to penetrate, so I have been doing my ribs, butts, brisket directly into the smoker without any rubs and getting a good smoke into the meat and then about the three hour mark for ribs and a little more for butts and brisket I pull the meat and soak with apple juice and my favorite rub and than let it go until until, I don't know but it seams I get a better smoke flavor and a better defined rub flavor. Just my 2 pennies

Back