SF Smoker Shipping Experience

BuckN BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Getting my Smoker from Shirley Fabrication (TuscaloosaQ) up to Minneapolis MN didn't come without issues. I worked with Paul who gave me the name of a local shipper from his area. Craters and Freighters did a fabulous job packaging and shipping the smoker. Once the smoker was handed off somewhere between AL and MN the packaging started disappearing. The crate that protected the smoker was gone by the time it arrived at my house. The end results are the pictures below. The local Minneapolis shipper was horrible, they attempted delivery three different times using a lift gate truck and each time the driver didn't think he could unload it without breaking the lift gate. Finally after a week of my smoker being local it was delivered on a Uhaul trailer by one guy. Fortunately I'm a big enough guy to help him remove the smoker from the trailer. The packaging at this point was just foam wrap and plastic. I couldn't see most of the damage until the wrap was removed. :sick: I wasn't about to refuse delivery. Fortunately for me the damage was all cosmetic and wouldn't affect cooking on this beast.

Within an hour of noticing the damage I contacted both the shipper and Paul, both were very concerned about what happened. Paul took charge and asked me for pictures and itemized list of what was wrong. Within a week Paul and Tyler fabricated all parts and had them sent to me making my smoker look brand new. Everyone that has a SF smoker raves about how Paul and Tyler are first class people that build first class smokers. They also give first class support to their customers. I can't thank Paul and Tyler enough for the ongoing support. :clap2::clap2:

If any of you brethren are on the fence about purchasing a smoker from Shirley Fabrication send me and IM, I can't say enough good things about these guys. :thumb:

Pic #1 Pull handle had a 45 degree welded piece completely broken off and missing

Pic #2 Cool touch handle on cooking chamber completely bent

Pic #3, 4 Damage to stack on warming cabinet

Pic #5 Damage to warming cabinet handle and temp gauge.

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 331
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 331
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 331
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 332
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 332
It got banged up pretty good didnt it?
These monsters have to be hell to ship..I'd hate to be the delivery guy that had a SF coming my way..

Glad you dealt with honest folks with customer service thats second to none!!

Happy Smokin'!!

Great to hear things were taken care of. SF looks like they do a great job. I don't even have one but I enjoy following them on here and on facebook. Great to see good work being done. My smoker to a cosmetic beating also. I probably cringe watching how some of the shipping groups work. It would pay for them to slow down a bit I am sure. An extra ten minutes on each shipment would probably go a long way in regards to headaches.

Great customer service story but the shippers should eat the cost of the repairs!

You r correct... but Me and Tyler talked and decided to handle this ourselves.... the reason being is this... Thomas with craters and freighters the initial guy I deal with... is a small business man like me and Tyler.... he had insurance that would cover the repairs..... but after some soul searching I decided this.... him being small like us and just getting started .... I was concerned that the insurance company would try and Jack his rates up.... although he has never filed a claim.... the time it took me and the cost I absorbed for that reason.... Thomas offered to pay me but I said no... it's handled..... Kinda made me feel good in my heart......
To the second drop off company that essentially vandalized the cooker..... you loose big time because Thomas will never use you again..... Thanks Jeremy for your kind words and patience!!!!!!.... If I do anything it is going to try and be right and fair!!!!! In all my doings!!!!!

Paul I'm begging you please run for President!!! We need people like you running this country.:-D

Just think of what those idiots had to do to even cause that much damage. nuts!

I used to work in shipping/recieving and I feel sorry for any package shipped UPS/Fedex. ridiculous how they load the trucks and the mess they stick the drivers with

You r correct... but Me and Tyler talked and decided to handle this ourselves.... the reason being is this... Thomas with craters and freighters the initial guy I deal with... is a small business man like me and Tyler.... he had insurance that would cover the repairs..... but after some soul searching I decided this.... him being small like us and just getting started .... I was concerned that the insurance company would try and Jack his rates up.... although he has never filed a claim.... the time it took me and the cost I absorbed for that reason.... Thomas offered to pay me but I said no... it's handled..... Kinda made me feel good in my heart......
To the second drop off company that essentially vandalized the cooker..... you loose big time because Thomas will never use you again..... Thanks Jeremy for your kind words and patience!!!!!!.... If I do anything it is going to try and be right and fair!!!!! In all my doings!!!!!
What goes around comes around. Paul your a stand up guy, glad I decided to do business with you. :thumb: Sounds like Thomas is too, were did you find that guy :becky:

Them boys over at Shirley Fabricators absolutely ROCK. Mine shipped the first time without damage but had a unresponsive shipper the first time which kinda screwed up my BBQ Bash plans but we recovered. Second guy was fantastic, and the trip overseas was transparent. It left and arrived just missed it in transit. Congrats and Welocme to the Shirley Family!

Not to hijack this thread, but how long does it take to get a pit built? I have been looking at several companies (Lang, Pits by JJ, Gator Pits, East Texas Smoker, etc) but this company seems really easy to deal with.

If I was in the market for a smoker this statement would definitely make me want to deal with stand up people like this. I have been following SF for a bit now and absolutely love their work. Makes me want to buy one. Great work and great people!

Not to hijack this thread, but how long does it take to get a pit built? I have been looking at several companies (Lang, Pits by JJ, Gator Pits, East Texas Smoker, etc) but this company seems really easy to deal with.
You should definitely give Paul a call. Mine is being shipped as we speak. Check out Shirley Fabrication Facebook page. Lots of pics and video. All my dealings with Paul are top notch. You will be doing yourself a disservice if you do not at least talk to Paul.

You won't believe this, but my SF cooker took TWO WEEKS to make! Shhhhhhh! But to be fair, I bought mine well before TQ & Tyler's business went through the roof. And deservedly so - with their exceptionally high quality and over-the-top customer service. They are so busy now, as the word travels fast.

Buy your pit from Shirley - you will not be disappointed!

Back