Comment Card Wall of Shame

Pickin' Porkers

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hopefully this will become a sticky and all will add something when it is warranted...I have recenty gotten two comment cards with the darnest comments from judges which I HAD to share.

Box had sauce smeared on the lid. Scored a 6 (Aren't you supposed to judge the meat appearance?)

Pork had too much salt added Scored a 7 ( I add no salt and very little in injections) I would have had no problem had the judge said..it TASTED salty.

How about I scored your chicken down (4) because it was pink. Hello,,,,,smoke ring! This chicken came in 5th in Kettering (42 teams) despite the 4 score for a smoke ring.

Being a "damned judge" myself, I will NOT defend those.

Ok, the "salt" vs. "salty"... You say salt, I say sodium...

Appearance in KCBS isn't the same appearance as say MIM/MBN. MIM/MBN is the
appearance of the pork. KCBS is the presentation, so unfortunately a sauce smear
really does factor in to it... Shame, but true.

The chicken smoke ring.... THAT judge is a genuine IDIOT!

appearance of the pork. KCBS is the presentation, so unfortunately a sauce smear

NO, you are WRONG! KCBS is most definitely the Appearance of the MEAT. If you are judging a KCBS entry down because of anything other than the appearance of the meat you should not be judging. The scorecard clearly says Appearance NOT presentation. Appearance scores are to be given for the appearance of the meat. It is even common for table captains to remind judges when they show a box for appearance scoring that they are "judging the appearance of the meat".

NO, you are WRONG! KCBS is most definitely the Appearance of the MEAT. If you are judging a KCBS entry down because of anything other than the appearance of the meat you should not be judging. The scorecard clearly says Appearance NOT presentation. Appearance scores are to be given for the appearance of the meat. It is even common for table captains to remind judges when they show a box for appearance scoring that they are "judging the appearance of the meat".

Guys, take a deap breath....

Actually, QN is correct. From what I understand from the Reps I've talked with, the Judges are to be instructed not to include the lids in thier judging... Why? Because it may have happened AFTER the box was turned in.

A judge is not to take the a sauced lid into consideration. However if the lid made a mark on the meat, I believe by the rules the meat itself is fair game for scoring as you see it.

I can ask at tomorrows judges meeting if anyone would like me to...

QN is correct that sauce smears do not count. However if there is a smear then it probably means that the meat itself is smudged and that is a score down, especially on chicken and ribs. Kind of like a finger mark and that's a score down IMHO. Only use toothpicks once sauce is on the chicken in the cooker. Not touched by human or robot hands. :biggrin:

QN is correct that sauce smears do not count. However if there is a smear then it probably means that the meat itselfand that is smudged is a score down, especially on chicken and ribs.

Why.

Who smuged it?

Because some dufus like me is Table Captian and fumbles the box...That aint right.

At our last contest we were given a comment card on chicken....it had one word on it....Bland! Nothing else written, just..Bland. We thought it was kind of humurous, it scored decent with all the other judges.

Why.
Who smuged it?

The lids get smudged from turn in boxes being stacked on top of each other. I've seen that happen at several contests. And like Ford said "if there is a smear then it probably means that the meat itself is smudged and that is a score down". Unfortunate results because someone was careless.

OK guys.....let's get back on topic of the original post in the thread....if this grows, we'll consider cleaning it up and posting as a sticky.....

As for me, I'm never been given a comment card....but I should have had 6 of them on some DAL chicken.......LOL

I have heard nothing but complaints about comment cards and cooks saying it should not be something that continues. I have never received one but would welcome them. I think as cooks we can sort out the meticulous and additionally profit from genuine constructive criticism. Taste is like noses other parts of the anatomy....everyone has their own. If only one judge thinks it is salty, don't worry about it.....at least you know what happened on that score. If a trend develops then it gives you some direction. I am a homebrewer and in beer judging comments are mandatory. I feel the more input you get the better off you are.

Paul

Great topic Roger!

Here's one from Gaffney this year for chicken:
"Very Very Good. Great taste, Juicy. Wanted More (with a smiley face)."
CBJ and the score was 998

I share this because I think that the comment cards can go both ways. The judge liked my chicken but thought that the tenderness was a little off?

I'd prefer to continue receiving comment cards even though the ones I have gotten seem a bit off.....well...a LOT off. In our particular case it points out...to us anyway....some of the things that judges need to be reminded of to either score up or down about. Hopefully Reps do take the time to remind judges ad the Judges meetings NOT to account for sauce on the lid and DO take into account other factors that may warrant a higher score. The cards can be a learnng tool for both teams and judges. We have gotten some comment cards that were very positive too, so it does work both ways.

a few years ago we recived some comment cards on our brisket..one judge took the time out to fill out a positive comment exclaiming how tender it was ..another judge from the same table exclaimed how tough it was..
right then and there I summed up the value of comment cards

Comment Cards welcome

I received my first card this weekend on pork. Well the judges was right they happen to get some dry pork. I wished I could have gotten a comment card good or bad on each of the categories. It's some place to start on trying to fix a lil problem. You can compare the comment card and the note that were taken during the cooking process to the leftovers you have to get an idea... So with that I welcome them... Mine was "pork dry and bland" must have gooten the stuff on the bottom...:oops:

I will throw two into the mix

chicken - too shiny, very uniform ----------- 5 in app. wtf thats a compliment

chicken - sauce way too spicy (blues hog with maple syrup and butter) not hot at all ---------------- 5 taste

Why don't we just let the cooks judge each others entry's? Each team should have to supply one judge. Since it's quite obvious that only the cooks know what appearance and good taste are, they should be doing the judging.

Using this judging method you'd never have bad tasting meat in a turn in box.

Back