Started my first Brisket this morning just sorta winging it and shooting from the hip.

D

DeoreDX

We don't do a lot of Brisket here in Alabama. BBQ is mostly pork around here :-D

But I was in Sam's club yesterday and saw some nice packer cut Briskets for about $20 for a 11-12 pound packer. On a whim I grabbed one, with really zero knowledge about Brisket. I've never cooked one. I've never seen one cooked/prepared. I've eaten it once before in my life (quite good though).

About 11 last night I decided I should probably open it and do something to it before I throw it on the smoker in the morning. I took it out. The fat was at least 1/2" almost 3/4" thick in parts. I shaved the fat down closer to about 1/4". Took off some of the bigger chunks. There was some hard crusty brownish meat along one of the edges (Maybe there it attaches to a bone?). I trimmed that off cause it's texture was sorta gross.

I had no idea about what to rub it down with, so I grabbed some Garlic powder, Paprika, two types of pepper, and salt (non-iodized), threw it in a bowl (just eyeballed it, no idea of the ratios) and rubbed it down. Threw it in the smoker at 5am. I thought I had some Pecan, but looking over the wood situation I started it on hickory for the first 2 hours and will finish it out the rest of the way with Cherry.

Over coffee this morning I started doing my Brisket research. Talk about shoot first and ask questions later :icon_blush: It doesn't look like I screwed it up too bad. Actually looks pretty close to the "first Brisket" tutorial. Well we'll see how it turns out. I figured I would throw this one on just basic like to give me a baseline on how it behaves in the smoker and what it tastes like. At least I now know what the flat and point is and will be able to separate them after I smoke it :icon_cool And now know what to look for when it's done.

Hopefully it tastes OK without a sauce cause I don't plant on saucing it right now. Any suggestions on a basic sauce if brisket tastes like crap? :)

Sounds like you have the basics covered and off to a good start.

A well cooked brisket may not even need sauce... (just some soft white bread and pickle chips !!)

If you plan to foil during the latter part of the cook or after its done and resting you can reserve some of the juices from the foil.. If you only foil when resting there may be less juice reserved but you can add some beef broth (low sodium)... If you want additional flavor add a touch of BBQ sauce to make a thin flavorful sauce.

Good luck !!

Sounds like you have the basics covered and off to a good start.

If you plan to foil during the cook or after.. you can reserve some of the juices from the foil.. If you only foil after it's done there will be less juice reserved but you can add some beef broth (low sodium) and a touch of BBQ sauce... to make a thin flavorful sauce.

Good luck !!

I think my biggest concern right now is I don't know what style of BBQ sauce to use. I just can't imagine using BBQ sauce on Beef, even thinned down. I may run to the store and look over what they have available.

As a brisket newbie myself looks like you are doing pretty much everything right (including the research - I am constantly searching and reading to try and improve my briskets) - as far as sauce it's up to personal preference, if you really like sauce then find one you like and go for it. I tried both ways and like my brisket without BBQ sauce (unless I am making the point into burnt ends) - love sliced brisket on fresh bread with horseradish sauce though.

Good luck and post some pron of the finished product.

I think my biggest concern right now is I don't know what style of BBQ sauce to use. I just can't imagine using BBQ sauce on Beef, even thinned down. I may run to the store and look over what they have available.

Then don't use any sauce !!! There's no rule that says you need to apply sauce. Just pour some of the au jus over it and eat...

I recently discovered Famous Dave's Devil Spit and I love that on Brisket.

I bet a good Aus Jus would be awsome with it. It's been about 7 hours on the smoker. Guess I should foil it and catch some of the juice to make the Aus Jus?

Back