Enclosed Trailers with Refrigerators

watertowerbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
For those of you who have enclosed trailers and refrigerators that you take to a comp, do you leave your fridge in the trailer all the time or are you keeping it plugged in at your house and just transporting it to the site? Do you plug it in and have electricity running to it when you are driving down the road or do you wait until you get to the contest before hooking it up.

Just something I've been thinking about. Thanks.

mine stays in the trailer.

I turn it off between contests, and turn it on a day or 2 before the contest while im stocking it.

I turn it off for transport. It stays cold for 5-6 hours at least.. If I have to stay at a hotel overnight before the contest, I move the generator to the back of the truck and run a line to the fridge. if i can drop it off at the site, i just hook up the gen and lock it to the trailer.

buy some babyproofing appliance locks and use them to latch the fridge.. they have a tendancy to fly open while moving.

7106ZIfXOuL._SL500_AA280_.gif

For those of you who have enclosed trailers and refrigerators that you take to a comp, do you leave your fridge in the trailer all the time or are you keeping it plugged in at your house and just transporting it to the site? Do you plug it in and have electricity running to it when you are driving down the road or do you wait until you get to the contest before hooking it up.

Just something I've been thinking about. Thanks.

Deep thoughts, by Matt. Hey buddy something going on that we don't know about?

The more mass in the fridge, the longer it'll hold temp. Therefore, I'd put water bottles or something else in there rather than leaving it empty.

Think of it like a big ice cooler and add a couple bags of ice for added insurance (just be sure to use a bucket to catch the melting ice).

If you're really worried, you could do a test run to see how long your fridge will stay cold without power (because the freezer is much colder, you might want to toss your meat in the freezer just before unplugging it).

Hey matt. I'll leave mine plugged in at home most of the year. Just unplug it when going somewhere then plug it back in when you get there.
The temps in the fridge will hold for about 3 or 4 hours if you don't open the door.

You looking to buy a trailer??

I have a new commercial fridge in the back of my rig now. I set it up with an invertor and 2 gel batteries. I can get a solid 10-11 hours of run time off the batteries. Worth it for me, as I take quite a few trips of over 10+ hours every year... My RV fridge runs off the onboard invertor set-up... But once my season starts, I never unplug my fridge. It runs all week, as I leave stuff in there from week to week.

buy some babyproofing appliance locks and use them to latch the fridge.. they have a tendancy to fly open while moving.

You just have to remember to use them. Harpoon '07:wink::mrgreen:

***seething with deep and burning trailer-and-fridge envy***

First let me say, yes I have trailer envy. :shock:

I've been following the threads about those remodeling trailers for use in competitions and it got me thinking. About a month ago I sat down with a pad and pen and decided to make a wish list of some of the more expensive things for BBQ. I listed a generator, a new smoker, a trailer and another guru.

I've been wanting to get a new Backwoods smoker, but I really like my WSM and I could pick up 2 WSM's for about a 1/3 of the price of a Party and put the extra $$$ toward a trailer. Anyway, I started to prioritize the list and decided that a trailer probably makes the most sense because it eliminates the most problems (i.e. space in the truck for getting my equipment to the contest, having to load the truck the night before the contest because it my primary transportation, windy days are tough on the EZ ups and without them, no protection from the elements, etc).

So for the time being, I'm thinking a small trailer similar to what SIDE showed in his thread from the other day and a couple of new WSM's. I still haven't resolved where I could store the trailer or if I'm even willing to purchase the trailer this year. With the economy the way it is and only 1 income, it's best to careful before spending that kind of money.

I've noticed that a lot of you have pictures of fridges in the trailers and it made me think.

Thanks for the input. (Now I should probably add a fridge to the wish list! :wink:)

Attachments

• Trailer.jpg
    Trailer.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 182
Funny you should start this thread....just installed mine this evening.

Dang...Mt. Clemens Race Track...have not seen one of those in a long time! I am originally from New Baltimore, so that brings back good memories.

I added a shelf above my (well, our) refridge tonight and a shelf under one of the tables.

First let me say, yes I have trailer envy. :shock:

I've been following the threads about those remodeling trailers for use in competitions and it got me thinking. About a month ago I sat down with a pad and pen and decided to make a wish list of some of the more expensive things for BBQ. I listed a generator, a new smoker, a trailer and another guru.

I've been wanting to get a new Backwoods smoker, but I really like my WSM and I could pick up 2 WSM's for about a 1/3 of the price of a Party and put the extra $$$ toward a trailer. Anyway, I started to prioritize the list and decided that a trailer probably makes the most sense because it eliminates the most problems (i.e. space in the truck for getting my equipment to the contest, having to load the truck the night before the contest because it my primary transportation, windy days are tough on the EZ ups and without them, no protection from the elements, etc).

So for the time being, I'm thinking a small trailer similar to what SIDE showed in his thread from the other day and a couple of new WSM's. I still haven't resolved where I could store the trailer or if I'm even willing to purchase the trailer this year. With the economy the way it is and only 1 income, it's best to careful before spending that kind of money.

I've noticed that a lot of you have pictures of fridges in the trailers and it made me think.

Thanks for the input. (Now I should probably add a fridge to the wish list! :wink:)

Store it in Kelly's drive way, he won't mind.

I ratchet strap mine to the E Track when we are traveling. Does not go anywhere.

mine gets ratchet strapped against the wall to a pair of tiedowns.

Back