How much do you spend on a KCBS competition?

To date, we've assigned categories to individuals on the team for each contest. Each person has been responsible for a specific category and we've shared in the overhead expenses. We're trying something new this weekend for a contest in that we're taking a team approach to each category and centralizing all expenses. One thing this has already done is given us an idea of exactly how much we spend to do a contest. Up to now, I had little idea of the total money we as a team actually spend.

I'm wondering how much money everyone spends in an average KCBS contest. I realize different contests have different expenses. Our American Royal expenses last year were off the charts. But this is a small contest (maybe 40 teams) and we're not doing any entertainment. Without including any personal expenses (like beer) or entertainment expenses like Friday night food. Just to enter the 4 main categories we've spent just over $500 (including food, supplies, and the $150 entry fee but not including any capital cost for equipment and gear). Is this reasonable or are we going overboard?

It seems high to me. Over the years we've become accustomed to some luxury items and I know we could trim some of the costs if needed. But I was just wondering what everyone else spends for a typical contest?

Our next contest will be Clovis. It is about 230 miles from Pasadena.

Entry fee-$250
Meat-$100
Motel-2 nights $125-150 for my team mates.(Hard to see your 81 year old mother sleep on the asphalt!:eusa_clap )
Gas-$75
Extra items-$100

Bottem line $600-$700.

Can only speak for IBCA comps.

This weekend at West (1 hour from home) the entry fee will be $190, that includes $10 for the kids cookoff Friday night plus $30 for electricity.

Meat will cost us:

$6 a rack of St. Louis cut spare ribs (I'll cook about 6 racks because I can therefore about $36)

Brisket will cost us about $25 to $35 depending on whether I cook two or three.

Chicken will cost about $20 because I will cook a few Friday night and two on saturday for turn-ins.

I will pick up one nice size pork loin at COSTCO and have it cut in 3/4" cuts of which my daughter will do her kids category on friday night. That should cost about $30.

$25 for ice and charcoal

$25 for spices, sauces, etc.....

Therefore $190+$36+$35+$20+$30+$25+$25=$361

This will feed us for the remainder of the week though, so I could possibly knock off half of the meat costs, but won't.

+$200 for booze
+$20 for gas

Pit and travel trailer costs, don't have to count, do they?

We just spent about $450.00 for the one we were in last weekend. $250.00 entry, $130 meat(trimmed flat vs packer), the rest was food and gas for lighting the charcoal, charcoal and wood. Contest was only 20 miles from home so that helped.

i would say 500-600 which we are gonna cut down some, entry fees and meat and gas is always a given along with what we call perishables kingsford,foil, and such but we seem to buy to much stuff for us to eat and drink and such and usually only use half of that. so we will cut back on personal stuff.

Entry fees , food (both for eating and comp) beer, drinks, foil pans.etc,etc,etc,
probably around $500.00, doesnt sound like a lot but when you are a 2 man team it adds up not to include upgrades or replacement on equipment,tents etc.. ouch I shouldnt have even thought about it!

I am contemplating getting into the comp. scene next year. This thread helps me to see what everyone else spends on comps, which will, I hope, help me to be prepared financially.
Thanks for the info.

I have kinda given up on the $$ thing.

Mrs Kapn picked up some stuff on Sat--said "here is your receipt".
My reply--"Trash it---I really don't want to know anymore"! :oops:

I just go cook and hope for the best anymore.

TIM

Cost of 16' Trailer and 3 smokers $ 10,000
Towing Vehicle $ 40,000
Meat $ 200
Supplies $ 300
Fees $ 200

The pleasure of setting up in the outdoors, getting rained on, bitten by you name it, nasty port potties, taste scores of 4 or 5 when its the best product you ever made.... PRICELESS !!!

For everything else, theres Visa when you just dont have anymore cash...:-D

Yeah,

Except that Eric is low on Meat and Supplies by 1.5 to 2X...!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Sorry Brian. I didn't mean to step on your thread. I looked for a similar thread but did not see yours.:oops:

Thanks for all of the responses. I don't feel so bad now as it would appear we're in a reasonable range.

So let me get this straight. We brethren spent countless days of preparation, hours of travel, and upwards of $1,000 for the privilege of cooking food for people we don't know under sometimes deplorable conditions to be subjected to sometimes unfair critcism with the hope of being validated by hearing our name called. And then because it makes so much sense we repeat the process several times each year.

What is wrong with us?

But it is so much fun..... and it is only money... it grows on trees, remember????

Our first competition is next week and since it's just my wife & I there is no one to split the cost with. I don't even want to thing about what we've spent on "stuff". It all adds up quick.

Same here....

I too average about 500-600 depending on how far I travel and the cost of gas. Since I don't smoke or drink.... it is my smoking and drinking money...

Bill

Good thread! For a newbie, I needed an idea how deep into this "hobby" I could get. Can't wait for my next comp!!

We average about $400 per contest also.

Next season we want to try and get everyone to chip in a sum of around $200-250. Use that money for reg. and meat purchases of a determined amount of contests. That way we are not scrambling to see who is going to pay for which contest. It will also help during those times when money is down. Extras for each contest (beer and other food) will not be included in that sum. We have 5 core members, I hope it works. May do that twice during the season once at the begining and then midway... who knows it's still in the planning stage.

We average about $400 per contest also.

Next season we want to try and get everyone to chip in a sum of around $200-250. Use that money for reg. and meat purchases of a determined amount of contests. That way we are not scrambling to see who is going to pay for which contest. It will also help during those times when money is down. Extras for each contest (beer and other food) will not be included in that sum. We have 5 core members, I hope it works. May do that twice during the season once at the begining and then midway... who knows it's still in the planning stage.

Planning on a similar plan for next year. This way we can do more comps and the cost is split up. Gonna figure out the details this winter, but like Swamprb said, I'm already looking foward to next year!!!!!

I see Timmy declined to answer this but I'll take a stab and guess:
$150 entry fee
$25 in electricity or fuel for generator
$100 in meat (Timmy buys on sale, and we usually cook only one brisket, butt, 2 slabs of ribs and a big pkg of thighs, maybe 16 or 18-- which makes us different from most teams, I imagine)
$25 in fuel if it's reasonably close by (most are)
$50 in misc groceries and beer (only 2 of us and we rarely have guests)
maybe $30 in replenishables - charcoal, ice, smoker wood, rub, etc.
maybe another $20 for side categories, depending on what and how many

Chit. It is expensive but we do a pretty good job of spreading out the costs. It's not really much more than it would cost for us to go camping - but when we camp we have no chance of getting any money back.:tongue:

Min 500 bucks but I'm sure I'm accidentally on purpose leaving out a bunch (BUT....IF YOU CAN FIND ME A SPONSER WORTH 500 I'LL TAKE EM).

Back