So did I buy just the flat?

Biggen

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Going to try my first brisket tomorrow and I think I already got off on a bad start. Did I come home with just the flat?

8542073249_92d5f0c9bc_z.jpg

8543172344_a04931565e_z.jpg

I got this at Winn Dixie and it was cryowrapped. The butcher assured me it was a whole packer brisket. His words were "It's the whole enchilada". It weighs just over 8 pounds.

But looking at it, it looks like just the flat to me which bums me out. I was looking forward to making burnt ends tomorrow when the flat was resting. On top of that I also paid $5.99/lb which I think was too high. I need to make the drive to my local Sams club when I want to do this again in the future as I thought I saw them much cheaper there.

I trimmed off most of the fat off the bottom (after I took the picture) and some on the sides but I left all the fat on the cap. Was this correct?

That is flat. And, like onexchef posted, it doesn't even look like they separated the point from the flat -- they just cut the packer in half.

CD

So I'm confused. When you say they cut it in half, am I looking at the half that contains the flat only then? Bastards...

All I've ever done are flats 'cause that's what they have at my Sam's club. Someday I'll find a packer. In the meantime I'm pretty happy with the results I get from flats.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this.

All I've ever done are flats 'cause that's what they have at my Sam's club. Someday I'll find a packer. In the meantime I'm pretty happy with the results I get from flats.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this.

Yeah, I'm sure it will be great. I just made up a glaze for the burnt ends already so now it will have to go to waste...

Rub her down toss her on the cooker and it will be all good my friend.

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

It's hard for me to tell but it looks like its more of the point side?

Going to try my first brisket tomorrow and I think I already got off on a bad start. Did I come home with just the flat?

8542073249_92d5f0c9bc_z.jpg

8543172344_a04931565e_z.jpg

I got this at Winn Dixie and it was cryowrapped. The butcher assured me it was a whole packer brisket. His words were "It's the whole enchilada". It weighs just over 8 pounds.

But looking at it, it looks like just the flat to me which bums me out. I was looking forward to making burnt ends tomorrow when the flat was resting. On top of that I also paid $5.99/lb which I think was too high. I need to make the drive to my local Sams club when I want to do this again in the future as I thought I saw them much cheaper there.

I trimmed off most of the fat off the bottom (after I took the picture) and some on the sides but I left all the fat on the cap. Was this correct?

if your winn dixie is like my winn dixie, they don't know chit about meat.

go grab a chuck roast, I have heard it is close to point like and can be used for burnt ends. I may be wrong so others can correct me, but there is never a good reason to throw out a preparation you have made yourself, you just need to adapt it to something else.

Ouch! 5.99/lb. Quit buying your meat from Winn Dixie. And I'm in agreement with caseydog they cut a whole packer in half.

Ouch! 5.99/lb. Quit buying your meat from Winn Dixie. And I'm in agreement with caseydog they cut a whole packer in half.

Yeah, no kidding. There pork butts and spare's are cheap but this will be the last time I make the mistake of buying briskets from them.

To me it looks like you got the point and a portion of the flat. Now, I'll be the first to tell ya, I LOVE the point. It's my favorite part of the brisket. Just cook til tender.

To me it looks like you got the point and a portion of the flat. Now, I'll be the first to tell ya, I LOVE the point. It's my favorite part of the brisket. Just cook til tender.

Hell now i am confused. I'll just cook it till its tender, slice it, and see what happens.

Back