Virginia Flavor Profile

Teamfour

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
What is considered to be THE BBQ style for Virginia? Vinegar, sweet, spicy?

Strange that this question would be coming from someone IN Virginia. Based on my experience, it's hard to say. I've competed in comps all over VA haven't been able to nail down the flavor profile. Based on the selection of sauces at restaurants in the areas I've competed, it would seem that sweet with a little spice is the norm...unless you are competing.

Strange that this question would be coming from someone IN Virginia. Based on my experience, it's hard to say. I've competed in comps all over VA haven't been able to nail down the flavor profile. Based on the selection of sauces at restaurants in the areas I've competed, it would seem that sweet with a little spice is the norm...unless you are competing.

I asked it for the reasons you stated. I haven't been able to nail down a single profile.

Small world. I just sold my house in Sterling yesterday. Anyway, I found that KC style is what the masses liked most of all.

I didn't change my recipe at all when I moved to Alabama and tied for first in taste for chicken in the last comp here.

I always thought it was fun to invite people over and have them judge the different flavor profiles. Usually if they like it, most others will too.

Since you posted this in the "Competition" section of this site I assume that you are referring to flavor profile for KCBS competitions in Virginia. Basically, it is the same as PA, NC, TN, or basically just about any other place around the area. Slightly sweet with a little spice is a good bet basically ANYWHERE. I've judged comps throughout the Southeast (VA to FL), as well as Arizona, Ohio, and KC - and basically ALL areas are similar in flavor profile IMHO.

Now if you were referring to restaurants in the VA area, then that might be a bit different.

Back