Going to actually smoke something

Yakfishingfool

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
in my XL BGE. Usually just grilling in it.

My plan is to turn the plate setter upside down but the question is do I put a drip pan of some kind there or cover the plate setter with foil or just let the juices drip on the plate setter. Anyone? Comments? Dropping a 22 pounds brisket and a 13 pound pound brisket in the BGE

I would at least put some foil on it, a drip pan full of water would help too. Plenty of people do it both ways.

Just a choice....

Unfortunately, it can get very messy if you smoke nekid.

I usually use a couple of foil pans to catch the drippings. Looks like motor oil coming off a bunch of pork butts.

I don't have a BGE, but my Akorn is pretty much the same set-up for smoking, I would imagine. I just use a diffuser between the fire and the grate (usually a 13" pizza pan or pizza stone, and put a drip pan on the diffuser. IMO, the kamados are at their best for smoking, that's what I love mine for. I can hot grill on anything, but I love the control over temp that the kamado has for hours on end. I can get mine tuned in, and pretty much leave it alone for 8-10 hours.

Thanks guys, I can get my WSM's to lock for 14-18 hours on a load of fuel without issue. But when I want 700 degree pizza oven - the big green egg is called for. I recently did moinks and ABT's on the big green egg and did a two hour smoke -it held 250 without a whimper. So an overnight should be no problem. S

Duder, definitely put a few (or one big one) pan 1/2-2/3 filled with water. When you check on it, you definitely be able to see steam coming off the pan as the water evaporates. I have smoked a bunch on the BGE XL and it's been marvelous. Good luck!

I don't use the platesetter that much since I got the woo2 rig from ceramicgrillstore.com, but I do/did wrap it in foil. I didn't the first couple of cooks, and it kinda makes it a mess. Some people may not mind. I prefer to wrap it, and toss the foil when done.

I also use foil pans under the cooking grid, resting on top of the platesetter. The big cuts can render ALOT of fat drippings. I'd rather capture that in a pan than have it all over the the bottom of the BGE.

I've tried not putting water in them, but for me, I get better results putting an inch or 2 of water in the foil pans to get things started. I seldom add any after that.

Foil pans in the grocery store are $$$. But you can buy 15 full size, or 30 half size at Costco for about $9.

Make sure you get that charcoal grate nice and clean, all the old ash removed from below and behind the fire rings, etc, before doing the all nighter. I got lazy a couple of times. Both times awakened by the alarm as the fire had gone out. The ceramic will hold heat in for a while, so it's possible for the fire to snuff out quite a bit of time before the alarm goes off. YMMV.

Duder, definitely put a few (or one big one) pan 1/2-2/3 filled with water. When you check on it, you definitely be able to see steam coming off the pan as the water evaporates. I have smoked a bunch on the BGE XL and it's been marvelous. Good luck!

whats the water for? Was going add just a little bit to catch the grease. S

Water does help stabilize temps (not that ceramic cookers need much of that) but also puts some moisture into the pit.

I'm a no foil guy, no water pan either. If you cook at 270* or below and have a lot of meat in there, I don't think you need it. I use a couple putty knives to clean my plate setter before the next cook. I might be lazy, but I can see my hands getting dirtier messing with foil, not to mention the plate setter for an XL isn't the lightest thing to throw around. I say season up the plate setter, but to each his own, there's no right way.

IMG_3321.jpg

I'm a no foil guy, no water pan either. If you cook at 270* or below and have a lot of meat in there, I don't think you need it. I use a couple putty knives to clean my plate setter before the next cook. I might be lazy, but I can see my hands getting dirtier messing with foil, not to mention the plate setter for an XL isn't the lightest thing to throw around. I say season up the plate setter, but to each his own, there's no right way.

IMG_3321.jpg

Mmmmm...Chefs snacks.

Back