Smoked Turkey.......CANNON STYLE!!!!

WOW! That looks really good. :thumb:
I used "the cannon" for the first time last T-day with SM Cherry on the BGE. It was purdy darn good.
Good Job :clap2:
Thanks for sharing :-D

That turkey looked amazing. The Cannon is at Amazon for 18 bucks with free shipping on orders over 25. Might buy a Citrix book or something.

Jeff

Just ordered one on Amazon since I had a gift certificate credit, but I guess I should have asked this first: Will it fit in a 18.5" WSM?

Can't say for sure. That pic on my drum is on a 22.5" grate, so it sure SEEMS like it would. I know that when it's mounted, it is kinda "offset". may also depend on the size of bird. The instructions on the Turkey Cannon says that it's intended for an 8-10 lb bird. I've never cooked one that's less than a 12 lb'er.

That one I cooked yesterday was about 12 lbs, so if you were to put on an 8-10 lb'er, I'd think it would fit, but can't say for sure.

Last edited:
Had the same high temp fast cook accident with my first UDS Turkey
Went out 1 1/2 hrs in to put in probes and it was 425 !
And done! Two hrs before dinnertime! And it was great!
Gotta try Norco's cannon advice and am glad to hear of your
Success.

Anytime I cook a turkey in the oven, I brine it for a day and then start it off in 500 degree oven for 30-45 minutes and then back it off to 325 till its done. It does make for some juicy bird. Yours looked great, nice job!

Looks like it'd be an excellent tool for the kettle, and for 18 bucks, I may have to pick one up and try it out!

Thanks for posting Wampus. I have a turkey cannon but have only used it once. The results weren't great. It was before I knew that long smokes don't work well with poultry. I need to dig it out and try it again.

Bump for the upcoming holidays!!!!

If you're looking for a great way to smoke a turkey, I can't recommend the Turkey Cannon enough!!!

Feel free to hit me up with questions!
Brother Norcoredneck introduced me to this beauty!!

Love the way the skin looks on your turkey! I think Im gonna have to invest in a cannon as well. :clap2:

Wish I could fit a turkey cannon in my flat top.. I always shoot for 400 for poultry.. that gives me by far the best results.

Nice looking bird there... Wish I had a cannon to try a bird on it for Thanksgiving. I just bought the Bob Gibson BBQ Book, so I may try his method this year.

Doug

Oh my that's one sexy looking bird and I'm not talking an English lady either!

Thanks for sharing. My salad now tastes like dust in my mouth.

Back