Carne Asada with PrOn

ChicagoSizzlin

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Thanks to these forums I decided to try some Carne Asada. Living just outside of Chicago I have access to lots of great ethnic food stores. Found a great one near my work and decided to hit it. First off Im 100% Italian so my spanish is so so. Picked up 2lbs of skirt steak and the butcher sliced thin pieces and tenderized it for me. Costed me about $8 for the meat. Picked up some Mojo Criollo marinade and some carne asada rub. Also grabbed some fresh cheese, green onions and cilantro.

Heres the meat bathing in goodness.

34322_1387005034259_1206047002_3097.jpg

Grilling up the meat made my mouth water right away.

34322_1387005074260_1206047002_3097.jpg

Final product not much for presentation. I am a simple man haha!

34322_1387005114261_1206047002_3097.jpg

Thanks to these forums Im really enjoying cooking once again! Thanks again !

Last edited:
So what did you think of the flavor?

I think I might of put just a little too much rub but I really didnt mind it. The marinade is a must and I think Im going to try it on some chicken. Overall I really enjoyed it. No different than the local mexican resteraunts which is a very good thing.

Last edited:
Those look awesome! I like the tip about having the butcher slice them for you, will do that next time.

May I ask what kind of cheese did you use? Queso Fresco?

Very nice indeed! One aside: You mentioned the meat was flank steak - that sure looks like skirt steak to me.

Those look awesome! I like the tip about having the butcher slice them for you, will do that next time.

May I ask what kind of cheese did you use? Queso Fresco?

The butcher also put the sliced pieces in a machine that tenderized them as well. Not sure if that is standard in most Ethnic foodstores but the meat was amazing. Queso Fresco is the cheese I used too.

Looks great from here too! Nice job. :-D

I like the fact you left the tomato in big wedges too instead of diced. I'll have to do that.

Back