Here is a stupid question...

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys...now, I know I havent smoked the first slab of meat, but this is something that Ive wondered since Ive been old enough to eat BBQ. Ive been to many many BBQ joints and have always wondered what it took to start up one.

I watched a guy in my old town sell sandwiches on the side of the road out of his pickup truck with a smoker on the back. He did that for a few months until he made enough money to get a portable trailer with cooker in it...like the roadside trucks that you see. He did that for about 6 months, in the same place.

I happened to notice a building going up behind his trailer one day (I drove by him several times a day), and then noticed that when that building was finished, he sold from his new restaurant. He has added on to it several times and now is a real live BBQ Joint that sells awesome food. That place is always PACKED! I watched him go from his truck, to a large restaurant in a year and a half.

that made me wonder...what did this guy do to put himself in that position? What does it take to do what he did? Not that I want to do that, but like I said, Ive always wondered.

Hmm, not to be a smart ass or anything but If I were you, I'd walk in someday when he's not swamped (early morning for most restaruants) and tell him this same story... and then ask him how the heck he did it... might get a straight answer, might not.
Worth a try tho!

Hmm, not to be a smart ass or anything but If I were you, I'd walk in someday when he's not swamped (early morning for most restaruants) and tell him this same story... and then ask him how the heck he did it... might get a straight answer, might not.
Worth a try tho!

I like that. The guy is obviously a very motivated self-starter and I think it would be appreciated to hear that someone took note of all of that hard work and dedication.

Worth a try tho!

Didnt take it as a smart ass answer. Problem is, I no longer live there...I live about 6 hrs away. LOL.

Sounds like a very smart guy, both business wise and queing wise!!

Did you ever stop in & buy a sammie? I noticed that you didn't say how good his grub was.

Oh, I spent plenty of money in that Joint...The BBQ and ribs were to die for!

He'll probably give you a pretty simple answer: "I worked my arse off day and night, made a good quality product that people liked and saved my profits to move to the next level."

A lot of people work hard and make great que but money management and a good business sense is just something a lot of great bbq'ers just don't have.

Oh, I spent plenty of money in that Joint...The BBQ and ribs were to die for!

Kinda confused bro... you said (in your other thread) that you don't think you've ever had a good rib since it sounds like most of what you've had has been overcooked steamed ribs slathered in cloying sauce... were this fella's ribs the same way?

If so, then the secret to this guy's success was probably cooking food the way that people wanted to have it... not "The Way BBQ Should Be"

As BBQ nazi's, that can be a tough thing to do. Sometimes we need to remember that we're cooking for John (uninformed about) Q Public.
Doesn't mean you can't try to introduce them to what you think they should be eating, but ya' just can't force it.

Question for you, if I understand your opening post correctly, you said that you haven't smoked your first slab of meat yet so what is going to be your first slab of meat and what kind of equipment do you have to burn it on?
You'll find pleanty of help around here when you're ready!! Oh, and pics are required.

shouldn't this be in the catering/restaurant thread? just sayin.

That place is in Lexington,SC. I said the q was to die for because ot was what I liked. I probably haven't ever had q prepared comptition style which Is why I said I haven't had good q. I'm sure comp q is better than restaurant q. As for my first slab, I think it's gonna be ribs or a beer can chicken. Still gathering parts for building a UDS for that. I'm learning so much just reading here. You guys are the best!

Back