Maverick ET 733 Issue

Boston Smoker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I purchased a Maverick ET 733 a few weeks ago off of Amazon. I had the 732 for years, which was a champ, but has seen better days. Plus, I liked the dual meat probe option and the better screen/settings on the 733. When it arrived, I plugged in both probes and noticed that there was a 4-5 degree room temperature difference between two, which was annoying. I called customer service, who indicated that there is as acceptable 4 degree margin of error. I guess I could live with one probe being wrong by 4 degrees. Last week, I decided to test both in a glass of ice water. I first tried my trusty thermapen, which honed in on 32.1 degrees in a matter of seconds. I then dipped the Maverick probes in. They took a minute or so to settle, but the two readings were 37 degrees and 42 degrees.

So originally I had assumed that one probe was correct and the other was off by 4-5 degrees. Now I realize I have one probe off 5 degrees and the other off 10 degrees.:doh: I called them back and they said that they would send me two more probes, which they did. I got them yesterday, and ended up with pretty much the same readings. So the issue appears to be the unit.

My question is - has anyone else had these problems? I'm planning to return it. Just not sure whether to exchange for another one if I'm going to end up with the same issue.

Thanks.

Swap out the probes and repeat the process.... stir the ice water with the probes.

By swapping them out you'll know if it's the unit or the probe.

The mavericks are hard to verify with the traditional water method. Like FWI said, you have to stir the probes around for a bit and they take some time to come to the correct temp. Same thing with boiling water, you can just make a stand or whatever, you need to stir them around.

Some probes depending upon the materials used in manufacturing can take as long as 3 to 5 minutes to register and send the proper variance to the display unit. Bottom line is it may take a lot longer to display what it thinks the temperature is.

You can't match a thermapen's accuracy to a maverick any more than you could compare the performance of a volkswagon to ferrari.

Update - tested them out in boiling water, stirring them around a bit. Temps for both were very close to the Thermapen. And I have the Gray Thermapen, which is super accurate. Maybe the Mavericks are just more accurate at hotter temps than colder ones. Which is fine, because I have no plans on making ice cream.

I know everyone loves their Mavericks here, and I had two trusty ET-73s for a long time. Was excited to get my new red ET-732, with a little more range, and on/off controls that you could get to without having to take off the battery cover! (finally!)

Maybe I just got one of the bad models, but both sensors were off between 10 and 35 degrees, inconsistently (inconsistently in that the amount they were off was never the same, they were always wrong).

I'm on the hunt for another brand of wireless probe. Again, I'm not looking to split the atom here, but after contacting Maverick's customer service, their reaction told me that this is no longer the product for me.

On the upside, I bought everyone on our team one of the new Thermoworks Thermopops and they are fantastic!

My remote broke after one season of using it and from what I've heard you cant let water get in the top if the probes either or they will fail. Don't have a warm fuzzy about this unit.

Back