View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #1
Boston Smoker
On the road to being a farker

Default Maverick ET 733 Issue

I purchased a Maverick ET 733 a few weeks ago off of Amazon. I had the 732 for years, which was a champ, but has seen better days. Plus, I liked the dual meat probe option and the better screen/settings on the 733. When it arrived, I plugged in both probes and noticed that there was a 4-5 degree room temperature difference between two, which was annoying. I called customer service, who indicated that there is as acceptable 4 degree margin of error. I guess I could live with one probe being wrong by 4 degrees. Last week, I decided to test both in a glass of ice water. I first tried my trusty thermapen, which honed in on 32.1 degrees in a matter of seconds. I then dipped the Maverick probes in. They took a minute or so to settle, but the two readings were 37 degrees and 42 degrees.

So originally I had assumed that one probe was correct and the other was off by 4-5 degrees. Now I realize I have one probe off 5 degrees and the other off 10 degrees. I called them back and they said that they would send me two more probes, which they did. I got them yesterday, and ended up with pretty much the same readings. So the issue appears to be the unit.

My question is - has anyone else had these problems? I'm planning to return it. Just not sure whether to exchange for another one if I'm going to end up with the same issue.

Thanks.