• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket in Butcher Paper

Would parchment paper work or does it have to be "butcher paper"? I have a roll of parchment lying around for pizza is why I ask.

I have done smaller cooks with parchment paper, and I see no reason it would not work. But, the cost of baking parchment is higher than butcher paper. And now that I have the roll, I am finding many more uses for it. Such as packing my meats for freeszing, laying it out to prevent grease on stuff, making paper hats. I like having it around. Still, I would think parchment paper would work.

A caution though, I have to "seam" my paper together, and this makes it less stable and allows for some liquid loss, or I butcher fold it (I tried both ways, not much, if any, difference), either way, the package is not as easy to handle as I am sure one piece would be.

I always wanted to do that on my UDS. My first question is I guess at what temp do you smoke them at?

And 2) Pork on top or Beef on top grate?

I do a stepped smoke:
225F for 2 hours to get as much smoke as I can. Plus, I like the smoke ring I get that way.

300F for 2 hours, this gives me time to get the bark the color I want. I have always done this as I believe when I just go hotter, bark development doesn't seem as nice.

350F until done, this gets things done faster. In particular, for cooking in paper, I don't see any reason to go lower, as there is no need to worry about scorching or charring. I do not go higher, as anything above 400F might be a bad scenario for the paper.

I typically have gone pork on top, brisket on bottom, but, I offset the meats if I can, so the air flows around them.

Landarc, You mentioned something about putting liquid in when you wrapped. Will it hold much liquid?

No, but, I am not so sure it needs to. I poured about 2 tablespoons into the paper from the side, so as not to wash the bark and then I sprinkled some over the brisket gently to moisten the surface. I think this might have taken all of 2.5 tablespoons or so.

Thanks for the reply Landarc. I bought a roll I use for pizza as I said, and may have to give this a try sometime (or ask my butcher for a 3 ft piece to try this method out).

It looks wonderful, and I love learning new techniques with the wealth of knowledge here!

:thumb:

I did probe through the paper, there is not a lot of moisture loss, of course, I am using a metal skewer and once you get through the paper, it is just like probing a brisket for doneness.

It sounds like you and most everyone else here has more skill with probing through foil and paper than I. The two times I've tried probing through foil I probed all the way threw and liquid just spewed out the bottom. :doh:

It sounds like you and most everyone else here has more skill with probing through foil and paper than I. The two times I've tried probing through foil I probed all the way threw and liquid just spewed out the bottom. :doh:

Ryan, with the paper, I found the probe (I use a metal shishkebab skewer, not super pointy) I had to create a small hole with my knife, then poke. The paper held enough integrity the skewer did not easily go through. Note, I do not hate my brisket, so I am not stabbing at it like a psychopath. :tongue:

Ryan, with the paper, I found the probe (I use a metal shishkebab skewer, not super pointy) I had to create a small hole with my knife, then poke. The paper held enough integrity the skewer did not easily go through. Note, I do not hate my brisket, so I am not stabbing at it like a psychopath. :tongue:

I also use a old shish kebab skewer, I just make my hole in the Bp through the layers trying not to hit the meat then I use a toothpick to check for tenderness the smaller the holes the better I think ;)

Bob, I'm gonna give you're technique a run...fantastic looking brisket.

Back