Need some help..Ways to chunk split wood??

flyingbassman5

is one Smokin' Farker
So after the big saturday of splitting wood, I've enough hickory to last me a good long while. The only problem I have now is how to get it cut down to chunks that are usable in my cookers. I've pondered a few of the possibilities and haven't come up with a good way to do it. Power tools WILL be involved though! :clap2:

Are there any brethren out there that have done this before? How did you get your splits cut down into chunks? Let it be know, I do not currently have access to a chain saw nor would I want to try to cut hundreds of 3" pieces with one..

I do have, however, a small (12" I think) miter saw, jigsaw(not that it would do much good), and hand grinder with wood cutting blade. Anybody think I could make due with just those?

Lets see the size of what you are looking to break down.

I'd think a miter saw & axe combo should do the trick.

Mitre saw, for sure. That's what my team does. Just make sure the logs are split small enough to be safe --- it's very easy to jam the blade in larger logs (at least for an idiot like me).

I only use chunks in the UDS i run a split on my table saw to make chunks or I use a chain saw, A saws all will work too.

Depending on how much wood and how energetic I feel I'll saw to length using a bow saw or a chain saw. If you're concerned about chain saw oil in your wood, use canola oil or biodegradeable bar oil.

I always cut to length and then split later. In my case, since I'm using chunks in a WSM, length is 3-4" long. In the chain saw world, what I cut are called cookies and they split real easy with a 3/4 axe.

If they are 3

If they are 3 inch splits I would let them dry and split them with a splitting maul.
Otherwise rent a wood splitter for a day and invite a few friends to help.

As long as the splits are small enough you should be able to get by easily with your chop saw

If they are 3

If they are 3 inch splits I would let them dry and split them with a splitting maul.
Otherwise rent a wood splitter for a day and invite a few friends to help.

The wood is already split. I just need to take what I way and cut it down to chunks. 3" was just a number I threw out on a wim. When I actually cut it, I'll just eye ball it.

I use my Fiskars X27 for splitting and my X7 hatchet for cutting into smaller "kindling" pieces using this method. I dont cut into chunks- just use the smaller pieces to create smaller wood if cooking in the smaller grill.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x31UtoLnY8Y"]Chopping kindling safely - YouTube[/ame]

I have a cheap sawzall from Harbor Freight I think I paid $17 for it on sale

been using that for awhile now

I dont have a miter or table or band saw or i would use those instead

could use a circular saw too, clamp the splits in a vice and have at it

I use my bandsaw. Much safer than a table or miter saw. Goes real fast too. Sorry you don't have one :)

I'm sorry I don't have one either :( I would love more shop equipment but my shop just isn't big enough. Oh well.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I think I'll give the miter saw a shot and see how it goes. If not, I'll break out the circular saw I forgot I had :biggrin1:

Back