View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #15
Schmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : "Hey, YOU!"

When we were kids, all our dads would spray the fluid ALL OVER the Kingsford, light it with a Zippo, and watch the flaming fun. The meat was put on the grill before the fluid burned away ... and the fluid that spills onto the the grill's inner wall never completely burned off anyway, so the meat would *always* have the fluid flavor. We were kids, we grew up with meat grilled like that, we got used to that flavor, it's what backyard grilling was supposed to taste like.

Fast forward 20+ years, we now use a chimney, electric (or whatever) starter, zero fluid, therefore zero fluid flavor in the meat ... Hey! This is something! Tastes MUCH better than when I was 8 years old! We're finally doing it right, and we don't want to go back to fluid. At the very least, it's psychological -- I'll bet a lot of us, if we knew fluid was used to start the fire, would detect a fluid flavor in meat today, even if all the fluid had burned away.

Another discussion: Does 100% of the fluid eventually burn off? I'm not so sure!
And a 22" Weber with GrillGrates and a Vortex.
KCBS member ... primarily so I can get into Restaurant Depot.
Purple and pink Thermapens. The slow ones, as I'm not competitive.
Schmoke is offline   Reply With Quote