Smoker question??

BluegrassSmoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a friend that asked me about a smoker...
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bradley-Smoker-BTDS76P-Digital-4-Rack/dp/B000FJZ150/ref=sr_1_3?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1357509368&sr=1-3&keywords=Bradley++Smokers"]Amazon.com: Bradley Digital 4-Rack Smoker: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

He is looking at this one, I'm new to smoking and didn't feel I had enough experience to give an opinion, and he's new to smoking too...
Anyone using one or have any feedback on this unit? I have a Master Build electric smoker and it works fine for me....I'm building a UDS for better smoke, but still to new to give advice. I also told him to look at a BBG or a Webber....

I think he want a kind of all in one unit, smoke and grill....

Thanks for any and all responses to this question....

Happy New Year to all.....

If he wants an all in one unit. How about a kamado?

The Akorn Kamado which is about the same price point as the cooker in the link.

Kamado Joe Classic is about 699 and is a heck of smoker/grill/pizza maker.

Or he can go old school with a weber kettle and build a UDS, or an 18" WSM.

They work good from what I here but your a slave to Bradley for the wood pucks and they're proud of them($$$$). Anything with computerized control scares the bejeebers out of me, 1 power surge and your calling Pizza Hut or the power goes out an your having peanutbutter & baloney on wonder bread. IMO an Brinkman Gourmet is a better choice.

I think he want a kind of all in one unit, smoke and grill....

The best rig to do both is a Weber kettle. Especially if he wants little fuss to go back and forth and wants a unit that's gonna last forever.

The only down side I can think of for a kettle is that if your cooking for a crowd (more than 4 or 5 people) space can run short real quick. Not that it isn't possible to cook for a crowd with one though. I've cook for a 20ish person party and did pork steaks in multiple batches. I had to start early and had to add another load of charcoal but it wasn't a huge deal. The finished steaks were thrown into a roasting pan and put in a warm oven until the party.

If he is just cooking for his household, a kettle is the sure bet. Plus the price is right too. A One Touch Silver 22" is like $100 from Lowes. The Golds and Platinums aren't much more either.

the ketle grill is the best. If you want anything better you have to look for a long time .:grin:

I would go with the kamado if it will be his only weapon. They're very versatile. Grilling, long smokes, and even baking pizza. Don't get me wrong though, I love my 22.5 kettle and I can cook ANYTHING on it. I just prefer my kamado for longer cooks because of how little fuel it uses and it will park at the same temp for hours untouched.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I agree the Weber Smokey Mountain and the Komando are both good choices.

I also have to add that the UDS is also great for a beginner with a small budget.

That unit will be fine for a bit but I see it on craiglists a few months down the road because it is boring. The Kamado suggestion is great or get a Weber Kettle and build a UDS and spend less money and he will be set for a long time.

I have a Bradley but would not buy another one.

it works fine and you dont need to use thier pucks, I use an AMNPS pellet smoker in mine

But the heat element is weak, I added a second one and its much much better.

its not an all in one unit, it will not grill

One thing I will say is Bradley Customer Service is excellent.

And yes, it is kind of boring to use.

Back