Curious-Cabinet cooker question

jdub

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
How does a Stumps/Spicewine/Backwoods "behave" when you load them to the gills?
Just wondering.

Remember that air flow is critical so you don't want to overload them. Certainly with a full load of meat it will knock the temp down and will take time to recover. That being said I have had about 50 lbs of meat in my BWS Party and everything cooked beautifully. The cooker is capable of doing 85 lbs as per mfg specs.

Stumps behaves fine as long as you don't crowd it so much that you restrict the airflow. The temp recovery isn't bad as long as you have it preheated well.

When I know I have to load mine up, I will warm it up and over shoot my target temp by 50 degrees or so, so by the time I get the meat in and the door closed the recovery isn't so bad.

The Backwoods works great but you do have to rotate the shelves around during the cook. There is a convection option you can buy that would negate the necessity to rotate the shelves.

I would say that all 3 should perform well under these conditions. Air flow adjustments need to be made, but that's about it.

Spice

Can't speak for the others, but I had my SW medium loaded last Thursday night with eight big pork butts and three full packers and it handled it like a champ.

W/O a doubt the key is airflow.
I filled the BWS Chubby with 2 shelves ( 4" apart) of chicken wings and they came out fantastic.
A week later I did the same with 4 shelves of chicken wings and there was a noticeable difference.

Last edited:
mine takes longer to get to target temp, but behaves fine. I use a power draft which really helps hold temps where I want them as long as I don't get the meat too close to the thermocouple.

My small Spicewine does great. I've loaded it up pork butts and it had no problems with airflow or holding temperature.

Back