BBQ Build Questions

smokinvic

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am currently building a drum smoker. I am on west coast, in Orange County. I am wondering if anyone out here knows where one could find grills for BBQ. I have an area of about 22" wide by about 36" - 48" long (the drum is on its side, unlike a UDS that is upright). I have tried Home Depot, but they don't have anything near that size, and to buy enough racks to fill that area, it would be very costly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

It has been a long and slow buiuld, but here are my latest advances on my BBQ Smoker. I am so painfully close!!! I can almost taste my first BBQ on it!!
IMG_4393.jpg

IMG_4389.jpg

My best guess is nothing comes that size. So you go to a welder/machine shop and have one made.
Or check with a pit maker like Klose. Here is something he makes that looks like it might be what your looking for. http://www.bbqpits.com/

just curious, where is the exhaust gonna be?
seems you gotta get some of the heat to the middle of the top drum.

I would have a welding shop build a frame and go with expanded metal for the grates. And with that size, I would do at least 2 side-by-side grates for ease of removal.

Naw just get regular rectangular grills and put them in with the long dimension from one side of the barrel to the other. HD, Lowes, etc carries these about $10.

What about the cooking racks out of old electric ovens? Do you suppose something like that could work?
That would be my guess as well....

Also, the connectors between the upper and lower drums look like galvanized... If that is the case, you are going to want to change them cause Gav isn't good when combined with heat and gives off some very nasty and poisonous fumes.

What about the cooking racks out of old electric ovens? Do you suppose something like that could work?

I was looking into those. I am gonna have to physically walk into Sears to look for those, I cant find them online.

That would be my guess as well....

Also, the connectors between the upper and lower drums look like galvanized... If that is the case, you are going to want to change them cause Gav isn't good when combined with heat and gives off some very nasty and poisonous fumes.

Those connectors are stainless steel. Not galvanized. I have been staying away from galvanized anything.... thanks for the heads up though.

Would an oven Rack work? I know I am new to this but it sounds like you could use an oven rack or two, even if you have to weld two together then cut the extra off.

Congrats on the smoker build...

Wal*mart/Lowes may have generic aftermarket grilling plates. Let us know how its developing. Inquiring minds...

Will be doing a modified spin on the double barrel smoker soon. .. still in the redesign point... but starting with the same kit... but throwing out the side door.

Good build,
PA

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40635

One of the cheapest way would be buy some 1/2 rebar and space them and weld each end to a piece of angle or flat. makes a very good rack. Or for that matter buy a smaller size

You can get those bakers racks. might have to trim them a little.

I know BBQ Galore on Harbor blvd had a bunch of different racks but I dont think they were that big. Brother CountryHB built a similar double barrel and went to Industrial Metal Supply in Irvine and bought a expanded metal sheet for his smoker.

Back