Two Charcuterie Firsts for Me (w/ Photos)

The Canadian bacon turned out very flavorful, moist and tender with a lovely smokey flavor from the Bandera--using freshly seasoned pecan.

nxm5uc.jpg

EDIT: Refrigerated it since this photo and did a thin slice. I am blown away by the flavor. I've never tasted Canadian bacon this good--always bought store bought (which was probably injected with liquid smoke).

Last edited:
Looks great.

What temp was the smoker?

How long was the cook?

What IT did you go too?

Looks great. What temp was the smoker? How long was the cook? What IT did you go too?

Regarding the cooker temp, I was aiming for 200F. It ranged from 194 to 217--used the Maverick 732 which is very handy for offset cookers it seems. I had to use the harbor freight weed burner a couple times to get the coal bed lit up because I let it get too weak. Overall I managed the fire pretty well -- first time I tried to manage a 200F fire in this. I'll get better.

I didn't time the cook--guessing a few hours?

I ended up pulling it out at an internal temp of 147F. I measured in the bottom of the loin and the top. I was impressed that both read exactly 147F! For some reason I was thinking the top might be a lower internal temp.

Great thread bbqgeekess! You post asking about pork loin earlier this week inspired me to grab one from the butcher today. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet, but that sammich is bringing it strong. As is the Canadian bacon. The cured chops sound good too....

Porkstrami

I used the sirloin end of full loin. Barbecued it hot & fast in my 18.5" WSM at 305F. It cooked pretty quickly at this temperature. I cooked it to an internal temp of 142F.

ip9m5d.jpg

Close up shows the ground coriander (#1 ingredient) :

258t45u.jpg

I sliced off the end then two pieces. Both Jeff and I each tried a piece for the first time--we are both beef pastrami reuben fans (our favorite sandwich). We both agreed that at first taste, when it hit our mouths that it tasted pretty identical to the beef pastrami we make at home (we use the same cure & coriander, black pepper & garlic spices). But then it had that porky taste and it was a little sweeter. (And of course the color is different.) We also noticed the texture was a bit different. But it tastes pretty amazing! We are gonna try some Pork Pastrami Reubens here soon, on Jewish rye! (blasphemy, giggle).

200qycy.jpg

Last edited:
Back